Monday, September 7, 2026

9 to 5

Over the course of the last two weeks, much has been written about beloved East Tennessean Dolly Parton. 

In the wake of her passing, at the age of 80 from a brief battle with cancer on August 25, it seems everyone I know has taken to social media to pay tribute. I didn't really want to simply a "and me" post, so I've been considering what I should write. 

Full disclosure: I am not a fan of country music and, thus, I didn't really spend much time exploring her music over the years. I know all the basic facts. 

I thought it was pretty cool the UT Vols used My Tennessee Mountain Home for its new fourth quarter song, for instance. That seems very appropriate. 

If the plan moves forward to rebrand Nashville's International Airport (BNA), what a great tribute. If New Orleans can name its airport for Louis Armstrong, why not Tennessee's flagship facility for its native son (daughter). 

Another of her famous songs, of course, is (about working) "9 to 5." She starred in the movie of the same name. So, on this Labor Day, as we celebrate work and pay tribute to those who engage in it each day,  I will use this space in the blog to express some thoughts about a person who is almost universally revered in our neighborhood, in our nation and around the world. 

For me, two quick personal touch points:

Dolly Parton Children's Hospital - My first job in public relations was working (9 to 5)  at the former East Tennessee Children's Hospital. Last spring, Dolly and the regional facility teamed up for this rebrand. Truly, throughout her life, Dolly made many commitments to help improve the lives of children. The renaming honors the legendary singer's lifelong philanthropic commitment to children and families in her home region of East Tennessee

Dollywood - I don't know of many people who live in this area who haven't been to Dollywood. I won't say that I've been to the theme park many times. But, in 2018, Lisa and I were attracted by a series of shows featuring venerable artists from our high school years. At Dollywood that day, we saw shows featuring Orleans and Al Stewart on a brisk, early spring afternoon. And during the remainder of the time we were at the park, we braved the elements to ride a few rides and sample a few treats. 

I'm sure I've been to the venue a few other times, but this most recent encounter is the one that comes to mind.

Other, more sobering thoughts, also merit mentioning.

In the aftermath of the awful wildfires of 2016 that affected her native Sevier County. Dolly committed funds for wildlife relief. I was at a Tennessee Titans game later that fall when the Titans honored Dolly for her generosity. 

It wasn't a one-off sort of gesture, however. Again, during the wake of Hurricane Helene just two years ago, she stepped up, once more, to help the citizens of East Tennessee.

After a while, a blog post with a good subject tends to write itself. So it is today. The theme I keep coming back to is how this wonderful woman used her wealth and fame for the greater good. So it was with Dolly.

Last year, during the holiday season, our family was downtown soaking up the festive vibe. I don't know why I felt compelled to snap this photo of the Dolly mural in Strong Alley. Now, it becomes more clear.


I needed an appropriate image to illustrate a blog I would write nine months later. Feels like the right way to pay tribute. 

Over and over again, she did nice things to help the people in this region. We all felt it. I think that is why so many people have grieved over her loss. You don't get a Dolly—or someone of her impact—just every day.

So, rest in peace, friend. You've done good work, here. 

JG


No comments:

Post a Comment

Plug and Play

As ham radio operators go I am not very technically savvy. In fact, I'd say, if super duper hams are 10.0 on the sliding scale of techni...