Thursday, March 26, 2026

The Coach Jeff Re-boot

When we last visited Coach Jeff, he (I) was officially "hanging up his (my) spikes." It was the end of 2018 and after seven years of writing and more than 1,700 posts, Coach Jeff's Blog went dark. 

With a newish job and many responsibilities as a PR Division Director in the late 20-teens, it seemed an appropriate time to "let it go."

Indeed, hanging up the spikes.



Fast forward to 2026:

• I recently retired from my job and my communications career of 40 years.

• I am settling into a new routine of volunteerism, exercise and catching up on household projects (although I am still open to any other possibilities that might come along).

• Since the last edition of Coach Jeff, I have re-discovered my childhood/teenage hobby of ham radio.

Anyway, with today being MLB's "Opening Day," it's always a time for renewal. So why not re-new the blog? After all, I started this crazy journey as a journalist/writer all those years ago.

I would think there could be plenty of topics to cover in this re-boot. And, after all, aren't re-boots the in thing ti di? Star Trek and Star Wars re-boot all the time. There was a "Full House" re-boot a couple years back and the Scrubs guys are all over the airwaves with tv spots and an updated storyline.

If there could be a 2026 version of J.D. and Turk and their colleagues at Sacred Heart Hospital, why not an up-to-date "Coach Jeff?" as well?

True, I haven't coached youth baseball in a while. And, I am no longer serving as dad to a couple suburban teenagers (the ones are fully grown now). But I think there will be plenty of potential content up for grabs -  baseball, radio, volunteerism, and just modern living!

Will I go for another 1,700? Who knows. But, it will certainly be fun giving it a try. What a better day to start anew?

Today is MLB's Opening Day - a day when all 30 MLB teams have hope for the new season. So, cheers to you, Opening Day. And also to Opening Day for the Coach Jeff Re-boot.


JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...