Thursday, September 3, 2026

The Chipper

How much wood would a woodchipper chip if a woodchipper could chip wood?

A great question for a mid-week walk in the park.

You just never know what you might see when you go to the park to walk around my favorite lakeside track. Earlier in the summer, I told you about:

Naturally, I exited my Jeep expecting a regular romp around the route but, instead, heard a loud mechanical sound that suggested progress over promenade.

Indeed, a work crew was out doing some clean-up. Thus: The tongue-twister I posed to kick off today's piece.

The crew seemed to have two tasks at hand. First, they were feeding some brush into the chipper. It seems like some large branches and downed limbs as a result of last week's storms. Later, I saw them disengaging some large vines in the trees around the track. No doubt, they were trying to improve the quality of life in the woods.

It wasn't my quiet, bucolic morning stroll. But I didn't mind. 

Speaking of mind, my thoughts drifted as I walked. I remembered our own version of a chipper. My dad and I used to run it in the fall. It worked like a mower but sucked up leaves and would grind them into fine, powdery mulch. The only catch was you had to beat the rain. Wet leaves would gum up the contraption.

Then, I was thinking of a more recent happening in the neighborhood - a similar scene with downed limbs and a work crew. We have lots of work crews in my neighborhood. Not sure what it means. But, it is something I've noticed frequently - tree trimmers, landscapers, lawn treatments, mowing crews. You name it.

Then, my thoughts returned to the park.

The guys worked apace and with purpose. And, by the time I completed two revolutions, one of the work trucks was preparing to drive away. Meanwhile, some of the crew continued on. Another truck approached the entrance of the track as I was preparing to exit one lap later.

Also approaching was a group that seemed to be a mom, a grandma and a little boy in a stroller. I can only imagine what sort of excitement a work crew might bring to the fella.

Got in my mile on a day before the humidity of the day was too oppressive. Late summer will soon give way to something a bit nicer. Dare I say: A breath of fresh air?

And on a mid-day on the infield inside the track at a park by the lake, signs of collaboration. clean-up, and curiosity. By the chipper.

Like I said before above--and on two previous occasions--you just never know what you might see on a walk in the park.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plug and Play

As ham radio operators go I am not very technically savvy. In fact, I'd say, if super duper hams are 10.0 on the sliding scale of techni...