Editor's Note - Five years ago, I returned to the ham radio airwaves after a lengthy hiatus. The date was September 5, 2021. In this week's edition, I will recap my participation in the 2026 Tennessee QSO Party, which fell on the date of the K4KYN re-boot and just one day past the fifth anniversary of my return to the airwaves.
So, here's the thing about plans. Sometimes, you develop them, write them and then tear them up. So was the case for K4KYN and the 2026 Tennessee QSO Party.
My original outline:
- Start on the 20 meter band (good for medium and long range distances)
- Move to the 15 meter band (to catch any long distance QSOs)
- Come back to 20 meters as the afternoon wound down
- Switch to 40 meters for close-in contacts in the evening
Know what the bands said about that plan? "Pfffft!"
Propagation giveth and taketh away. With my plans shredded, I just decided to settle into the K4KYN ham shack and see where the day would take me.
I've often said that radio propagation is both a mystery and, at times, wonderful. Yesterday, it was not wonderful. For whatever reason, the 15 meter band was essentially dead. I made a few west coast contacts using the band, but not much. In a like manner, 20 meters wasn't great, either. I did use it with some limited effectiveness part of the time for contacts in the midwest.
On the other hand, for the most part, the 40 meter band is not available to me most days during the summer. From about 10 a.m. 'til late afternoon, I usually hear a long and persistent static. Think of it sounding like a high piercing "Nnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhh!"
Yesterday, that wasn't present at all.
So, the bulk of my 225 contacts during the 2026 Tennessee QSO Party were made on the 40 meter band. How about 160 of 225? I would have never believed that going in.
Stats like those are why I am not a betting man.
Overall, my goal was to beat K4KYN's last year total of 223 contacts. My stretch goal was to hit 250. But when the first of two late afternoon thunderstorms rolled in, and I had to disconnect the rig and power down, I knew that was likely out of reach. Later, I decided to take a short dinner break and that sealed the deal.
Still, I was determined to grind out enough contacts to beat last year's total. Just before 10 pm, I made it to the finish line with 225. Two-fifty will have to wait for next year.
If you are interested in stats (and as a former youth baseball coach, you know I am), I made contact with 34 of the 50 states. I also logged QSOs with five Canadian provinces–AB, NB, NL, ON and QC–and completed QSOs with operators from Germany, France and the Slovak Republic. Fun stuff.
The wonky band conditions were reflected in my top ten states. Most were in the east or middle of the country and many were near-by.
Here are the K4KYN Top 10 states (with totals) for the 2026 TQP (not including Tennessee, of course):
MN 15
TX 11
OH 10
NY 9
SC 9
FL 8
MA 8
VA 8
IL 7
PA 7
For the record, I made contact with 32 of Tennessee's 95 counties for a total of 47 QSOs within the Volunteer State.
I finished my logging, uploaded the contacts, submitted my score and results and shut down my equipment. Then, I headed upstairs to wind down after a fun but taxing day.
And I'm already excited about taking part in the 2027 TQP!
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment