Monday, April 13, 2026

Retirement

Since my retirement became official at the end of February, I've been spending time with a number of friends and former colleagues -- checking in and catching up.

To a person, each one has asked me a variation of the same question "How's retirement going/How do I like retirement?"

So, I answer in kind and report back on the "state of the retiree" and the state of the retiree is good!

Honestly, I had been thinking of pulling the ripcord on my golden parachute for a while. And in preparation. I read a number of articles giving tips or advice. I say 100 percent of what I read said

  • Have a Plan
  • Remain Active
  • Keep Connected

So, I've been putting in to practice what I've read.

The follow-up question is almost always, "So what do you do with your time?" My friend Ed asked me that during a recent email exchange and I gave him a fairly solid outline of what I do.

I start most days in meditation/prayer/quiet time. And then I check the news, email and the progress of my fantasy baseball team. And often I check ARRL's Logbook of the World, as I mentioned last Tuesday. 
Then. I launch into the agenda for the day.

Being active? I listed four major household projects I wanted to accomplish out of the chute. And so far, I've knocked out three of the four. Also, I have been walking each day (more about that in a future post). And I've been doing some volunteerism.

In terms of staying connected, I've had an informal goal to see a friend or former colleague each week.  Last week, I had lunch with a former colleague from my youth baseball coaching years. Later this week, I'll meet up with a guy I used to work with.

Staying connected.

Oh, and I do often spend a little time on the radio. For a while now, I've made it a goal to make at least one radio contact each day.


So, indeed, the state of this retiree is good.

One last question I've been asked is if I plan to return to the world of work. I wouldn't rule it out. But I am also not actively interviewing or seeking employment at the moment. A PR colleague who is a bit older (and wiser) than me advised me to "take a beat." In other words, don't rush into anything.

Good advice.  

What will I do now? Review my text, add a few links, click the publish button. 

And then, I'll head out for my morning walk.

JG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...