Thursday, July 2, 2026

America 250

One of my goals with #CoachJeff's blog is to stay away from controversial topics. My theory is that if you are online to read political content, for instance, there are many more qualified people writing on the topic. 

So, today is probably about as close as #CoachJeff will get to being political. Cuz, you see, July 4th is coming up–America 250–and some folks aren't very enthusiastic about the date. I am.

This morning, I unfurled my flag and I am proud to display it. 


After all these years, I still believe in the Shining City on the Hill from scripture that President Reagan so richly described 40 years ago. 

When I attended my niece's dance recital last month, I felt my heart beat just a little bit stronger as we heard all of the patriotic standards played during the performance. When I was at the Braves game with my friend Dave two weeks ago, I heard singer Timothy Miller (#tenorlion) deliver a stunning rendition of "God Bless America, " my eyes welled.

Maybe I am just a nerd when it comes to such things. Perhaps it comes from my unbringing as a part of a small generation sandwiched between our older, former hippie cousins and the cynical youngsters who followed us. We were raised to be patriotic. And I guess I never lost that ferver.

I won't lie: One of the most stirring moments I've experienced was being in the crowd at the 1996 Olympics, watching "The Dream Team" play and joining in as the fans chanted "USA. USA."

If you are like me and you're looking forward to this July 4th, my advice to you is go all out. Really lean into the holiday. If you're old enough: remember how we celebrated the Bicentennial 50 years ago and do it again for #250. And if you are younger, there are lots of videos online that will give you the highlights.

If, on the other hand, you are on the other side of this issue, and you're not excited about America 250, I hope you can find some joy in the upcoming weekend. 

Enjoy a concert in the park, a waterfront fireworks display at dusk, a creamy bowl of homemade ice cream or a juicy melon at a backyard barbecue.

Have fun.

  • And if you don't want to do something July 4theseque, there are many great ways to enjoy this weekend. Dinner out with friends. 
  • Watch a ballgame. 
  • Attend a play, concert or movie. 
  • Binge watch that show you've been talking about for months.

Or get behind this scrappy U.S. men's soccer team that just advanced to the Round of 16 last night with a 2-0 win over Bosnia-Herzegovina! They play again Monday night.

My advice, whatever your choice, do something relaxing and enjoyable!

Monday will come soon enough and we can all go back to the grind. But for one nice weekend in early July, let's all make it a good one.

Do it for #America250. Or just for yourself.

JG



No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...