I've always been taken with the fact that our country's birthday, as well as those of our friends and allies France and Canada, all take place in this month.
What is it about July? Maybe it's the heat.
In any case, as we prepare to mark the occasion of America 250, our neighbors to the north are celebrating their day, today.
So, I wish our friends a hearty Happy Canada Day!
Canada Day celebrates the anniversary of the day when Nova Scotia and New Brunswick joined with the United Province of Canada (Ontario and Quebec) to form a single union. It is generally regarded as Canada's birthday.
Maybe some day I can do a deeper dive on this topic. Or share my own experiences from past visits to Canada (including two on Canada Day).
But, ostensibly, I've set aside Wednesday as sports day (or baseball day). So, how to combine the two topics - Baseball in Canada?
I've got a few ideas:
The Spreadsheet
First, we'll go to #CoachJeff's master spreadsheet listing all the baseball games I've attended.
• I've seen the Toronto Blue Jays play an impressive 8 times (most of any A.L. club)
• Believe it or not, I also saw the Montreal Expos play twice (before they moved and became the Washington Nationals)
On Va Aux Expos
In 1996, we actually had the opportunity to travel to Montreal and see an Expos game on mine and Lisa's 10th anniversary.
Here are pics of me and two youngsters (Holly and Paul) inside Olympic Stadium in Montreal. And, outside Olympic Stadium, Holly strikes a pose.
Canada Day in Toronto
When I kicked off my 30 Stadiums quest, we were in Toronto. We saw the Blue Jays play the Mets the day before Canada Day.
Then, on Canada Day itself, a young Holly looks down on the action in Rogers Centre from high above in the CN Tower.
Interestingly, the Mets are in Toronto again this year and will play in the same Canada Day match-up later this afternoon.
I can imagine the Blue Jays in their Red Canada Day unies and a sea of red and white in the crowd. And, of course, tons of national pride as they sing the national anthem, O Canada.
Here's wishing our friends a special day.
JG
No comments:
Post a Comment