The advent of the spring season brings the return of baseball, of course, and thank goodness for that.
It also provides the stark reminder of the wear and tear done by the long, cold winter. April showers may, indeed, bring May flowers. But, we’ve still got a lot of work to do to get to that point.
Indeed, this weekend, I see a lot of yard work in our future.
As I look at my yard, from the street, I see two things. First, it looks great on the left; it looks great on the right. But the middle looks awful. I’ve got some work to do there.
The past few years, I’ve seeded that part of the yard (which is shady) and the seeding hasn’t taken. I’m thinking I may try to invest in some sod and see if I can get the grass to grow that way. Otherwise, I’m looking at a long summer of mowing…moss…
In the flower beds, I have another challenge.
On my day off Monday, I purchased a truck-load of pine straw. We used this as mulch last spring with great success. We plan to do so again this year.

Before I deploy the pine straw, however, I need to cut some items and ‘whack some weeds’ in the bed. I pulled our rechargeable weed trimmer off the charger on Monday and tried to crank it up and I when I pushed the ‘on’ button, I heard a sound that just wasn’t right. It was the sound of a weed trimmer with the batteries running down – kind of like some other examples I told you about in the past.
Suffice to say, there is a certain sound a weed trimmer makes and this wasn’t it. Instead of the high piercing whirr sound I heard a very sad “woooooooo” sound.
You won’t trim many weeds that way.
Anyway, I did a little research and found a local battery store that sells a replacement battery for the trimmer. I went to get it on Monday but, then, as I tried to remove the casing, I found that I was in for some more drama. Upon further examination, there are some screws to remove.
I found a step-by-step video that takes me through the process of installing the new battery. So much for my thought it’d be as easy as changing out the batteries in the remote! But, I think I’ve got a good handle on the task.
So, whack the weeds; spread the mulch. That’s the plan.
Saturday looks like a lovely day. I think it will also be a busy day.
And then there is the garage project…needs a thorough cleaning, re-arranging and organizing. Come to think of it, I am thinking it may have to wait a week.
JG
Originally posted 4/9/2015
No comments:
Post a Comment