Thursday, February 16, 2023

Do it Again

“Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.”
       - Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain)

Oldest children in a family have a certain sense of responsibility when it comes to doing the right thing. Two years ago (September 2013, to be exact) I wrote an edition of Coach Jeff’s Blog titled “Do the Right Thing.” 

I penned that edition because I just felt like it needed to be said.

I’m an oldest; Lisa is an oldest (and obviously, so is Holly). We live in a house of oldests. We can only assume that Roger the Cat is also an oldest (As the oldest male child in our family, Paul also receives entry into this exclusive club).

When you live around all these folks who also follow the rules, you tend to notice when folks don’t and we tend to be more indignant than the middles and youngests around us. Of course, we all slip up. But, there is also intent.

Most folks want to do the right thing; a small select few do not. My message is to them. Updating what I wrote 18 months ago, I now say this. Do the Right Thing…and then Do it Again. It’s a matter of responsibility; a question of character.

Here are a couple prime examples from last week.

We have a newspaper box (tube) affixed to our mailbox. Lisa believes firmly in subscribing to the daily newspaper (I’m more ‘meh’ on the idea). Still, as a paying customer, Lisa deserves the product she paid for.

On many occasions, the person delivering the paper tosses it into the driveway and if it’s a rainy morning ‑as many of them have been this spring ‑ you wind up with a soggy, mush mess. The recycle guys don’t even want it.

With this in mind, Lisa called the subscription office and pointed out that we have a newspaper tube and she would like to have our paper placed in the box.

image

The lady who took her call agreed this was a reasonable request and she passed it along to the deliverer. The first couple of days, the paper was in the box as requested but I noticed over the course of the last couple of weeks, he backslid. It was almost a half-and-half outcome.

And when we returned home from church yesterday, I noticed the big fat Sunday paper right in the middle of the driveway. Luckily, I missed it on the way out (and then dodged it on the way in). Hey driver: Do it Again!

Second example.

In the bathroom down the hall from my office, the garbage can is just a few steps away from the potties. A week or so ago, I noticed that a wad of gum had shown up in one of the urinals. The lady who cleans our bathroom has left it there (as she should…she shouldn’t have to pick it out of the potty).

My question to the guy who put it there: You passed the trash can on the way to pee…why not toss the gum in the trash? In this case, it would’ve been so easy to do the right thing. And only one need to do it once so you don’t have to do it again.

Other examples:

I read a great article online over the weekend about financial planning for folks in their 40s. The basic premise was this: “The 40s are prime time for you.” Prime time for earning; even more-so for saving. Or making a plan for savings.

This is an undeniable fact and, yet, I see so many examples of folks more interested in living the good life. No need to save; no need to plan. And for less-fortunate fortysomethings, it’s time to make a new plan if you don’t earn enough to save or plan.

Do the Right Thing. Then, Do it Again!

This is the week all our taxes are due. If you haven’t filed your federal income tax return, you have until Wednesday. Yet, how many folks around won’t pay the taxes they owe. Or they’ll try to find a loophole. Or they’ll file a request for extension.

Do the Right Thing. Then, Do it Again!

Today’s edition of Coach Jeff might be a little heavier topic than usual, especially as we start a new week. It’s been on my mind recently, so I wanted to share it with you and, also to hear your thoughts on the topic.

Maybe if we all strive to do the right thing, it’ll be a better week for everyone.

JG

Question of the Day: Have you seen examples, recently, in which someone did not do the right thing?

Originally posted 4/13/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...