Earlier this year, I wrote about website Thrillist’s ranking of all 50 states by fast food establishments. It was a tasty edition!
Now, coinciding with the week of MLB’s Opening, Thrillist is out with a ranking of all 30 MLB ballparks with the ranking based on…you guessed it…yummy ballpark concessions.
Like any ranking, you can agree or disagree with the numbers. This one should be higher, that one should be lower, why did they rank this one at all?
Anyway, I don’t want to disagree with the countdown. In fact, the ranking of the our own location in Braves County - Turner Field – being right in the middle seems about right to me. The image that comes to mind, for me, is standing in a very long line for a Chick-Fil-A milkshake that I could easily get at any of its location throughout the country.
But, it just seems right when you are in Atlanta to sample something that is Georgia-based. Too bad The Varsity doesn’t have a booth out in Fan Plaza!
Generally speaking, I’m not a big fan of ballpark food. Well, let me clarify: the food may be good. But, I’m not a fan of paying the crazy high prices that come with it.
My usual practice is to try to grab something more reasonably priced before going to the stadium. Still, sometimes you have no choice. If time is short and options are limited, ya gotta do what ya gotta do – even if it costs an arm and a leg.
For the record, some of the places I’ve eaten that appear on the countdown:
• Pizza – I remember getting some very yummy cheese pizza both at Fenway Park and at Citizen’s Bank Park in Philly. For Fenway, especially, I remember walking up a flight of stairs out to find the pizza stand and thinking it was definitely worth the trek. I also had a slice of LaRosa’s pizza in Cincy during my last trip. As much as I like Skyline, I can’t imagine trying to juggle a plate of three-way while preparing to dodge a foul ball coming my way at the Great American Ballpark!

• Q - In New York, at Citi Field, I sampled the barbecue the writer references I will concur with his assessment. I don’t usually associate the Big Apple with Big BBQ but, in this case, it was a tasty treat.
Speaking of barbecue, the Boog Powell BBQ stand at Camden Yards in Baltimore is mentioned in the article. Talk about yummy. It may be my favorite ballpark bite I’ve had over the years. If you go there, I highly recommend it. And as I’ve told you before, it’s one of my favorite parks, hands down.
Of course, everything about our trip to San Fran was special, including the stadium. I think I have told you before how the warm cup of Ghiradelli cocoa really hit the spot on a blustery night at AT & T Park.
For many of you who have seen a game in your favorite park, I’m sure you’ve got some great ballpark concession stories to tell, so I’d love to hear them. Scrumptious plate of nachos? Juicy burger? Zesty fries?
Everyone has a favorite, I’m sure, and the great thing about opinions about food and fans is that no answer is a wrong one!
JG
Question of the Day: What is your favorite ballpark food?
Originally posted 4/8/2015
No comments:
Post a Comment