Thursday, February 2, 2023

Sounds of the Season

Whenever I step out on to the back porch this time of year, I can often tell that the calendar has shifted from July to August.

Usually, my sensory survey includes the wall of humidity that greets us this time of year. But, as you know, we have been blessed to avoid that this year. Still, coolness and dry air aside, the calendar is about to flip to August.

One of the notable sounds of the season is music. What I mean is that we are serenaded by the rich melodies of the Farragut High School band. Each night, the tunes come wafting through the trees in the woods behind my house.

It’s this time of year that FHS Band Camp gets underway.

Back in the day, I think, band camp for the Marching Admirals meant some sort of off-site retreat for a week or so as the band learned and practiced its new show for the upcoming fall marching season. But these days, probably because of cost, the FHSers stay close to home.

My daughter and son were never band kids but I remember Holly always told me “Band kids are beast!” (In case you are wondering, in this instance beast = great). Holly had some friends in the band and, of course, Paul did his performing on the stage. Well…except when he was in the costume of Admiral Dave.

image

Because of their endorsements – and my own observance – I’m a big fan of band kids (even if my own personal loyalties were drawn to the theatre).

My best friend was the first trumpet in the FHS band and I remember listening to his solos with amazement. I don’t have any musical talent whatsoever but I do appreciate hearing a great performance.

And so it is each night. As they learn and practice, we feel we are treated to a free concert on many nights when the breeze blows our way.

It reminds me that the start of the new school year is just around the corner. Once upon a time  - not so long ago - our kids were a part of that wonderful community but they have moved on to other schools. They’ve ascended to the next level in their educational careers and a new wave of high schoolers prepares to enjoy the electricity of the start of the school year; to dive into the excitement of cool, crisp Friday nights and high school football.

The calendar turns, seasons shift and the cycles of life march on at a prodigious pace.

JG

Originally posted 7/29/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...