Thursday, February 2, 2023

Raton Laveur

You’ve seen these floating all over the internet. Funny video clips or ones set to interesting dialogue or music. Or memes with interesting captions.

These always provide us a with great conversation pieces or, at least, give us a little chuckle.

We’ve run across a few of these over the course of this summer.  Holly loves cats and she is often scouring the internet for the latest cute cat video or photo.

She especially fell in love with one titled Dansons La Capucine. I first heard her playing it when we were in our hotel room in Paris and I will always associate it with that amazing experience. It’s basically a clip of two cats playing a clapping game with each other. You’ll just have to see it to believe it. 

More recently, we have found one – probably produced by the same folks – called “Le Voleur de Croquettes” (which, translated, means “The Nugget Thief”). In this clip, set to French dialogue, a raccoon (Raton Laveur in French…which means rat who washes) encounters three cats who are eating outside. He brazenly approaches them, pushes them aside, and proceeds to steal their food.

All set to French dialogue.

It’s very funny stuff. Again, I invite you to check it out.

All of this business about the raccoons prompts a question. Why do we think of them as bandits – apart from their obvious mask. Why are they ‘nugget thieves?’ I guess it must be all on reputation.

After all, this guy wasn’t just paying us a visit when he knocked on the sliding glass door, right? I’m sure he was looking for something.

image

A few weeks ago, we left the garage door up one evening and when I went into the garage, I noticed that Roger’s food dish was turned over, all the cat food was gone – even the nuggets scattered on the floor around Roger’s dish – and the water bowl was empty.

I know the ‘washer rat’ was probably trying to make everything clean. Still, I switched out the bowls…just to be safe.

JG

Originally posted 7/30/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...