Thursday, February 9, 2023

On the Eve…of All Hallows Eve

I have a confession to make. I’ve never been a huge fan of Halloween.

Let me clarify.

I think it is cool that little kids go from door to door in their cute costumes. Or, if you prefer, that they attend an event like Trunk or Treat. 

And, when our ones were of the age to make their annual quest for sugary gold, I was totally on board. Or, if I were the one at home handing out the goods, I was keen.

I’m just not a ghoul guy. I’m not a deck the halls in black and orange fellow. Generally, I don’t watch horror movies.

The thing is. I’m a glass half full guy. Horror movies are usually glass half empty propositions. Or totally empty.

So, you see, this particular holiday just doesn’t match up well for me.

Still…I’m not one to say I NEVER got into the spirit. Here are a few examples:

  • At my first part-time job, I was working on October 31. I dressed in a Batman costume. Pretty good deal for the customers coming through the drive-thru that night.
  • I always lobby for my home to have high quality treats to hand out. My theory has always been that the ones who pass out the cheap stuff are candidates for the tricks that come later.
  • And, on occasion, especially during election years, it has been said that some familiar faces may show up around town.

image

So, I guess what i’m saying is there is something for everyone…even a romantic like me.

Tomorrow night, I hope all the cute little ghouls and goblins have a big time. And I wish them a happy haul as they greet their neighbors with that happy refrain: “Trick or Treat!”

JG

Originally posted 10/30/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...