A nice well-timed weekend getaway was a real treat for me - especially during a very busy fall season - and now I’m back in town and ready for the homestretch.
Still, if you’d permit me to do so, I’d like to take a few minutes to look back at my trip to NC to hang out with my best friend Ed. It was a great three days!
Seahawks 13 Panthers 9
One of the reasons I picked this weekend was because I was interested in seeing the Seattle Seahawks play. In my on-going quest to see all 32 NFL teams play, they were the most remote team and the team I’d least likely be able to see.
So, the timing of them coming to play a game in the Southeast against the Carolina Panthers was an attractive feature. And the game was great. Final score of 13-9 in favor of the Seahawks and the outcome was decided in the final minute of the contest.
Even more attractive, I have to say, was the Panthers’ home stadium - Bank of America - and the overall game day experience. I’d have to say that the Titans could learn a thing or two about how the Panthers do things.
- Totally smoke-free facility.
- Convenient escalators vs. cramped elevators.
- Friendly and helpful staff throughout the stadium, each asking if you need help and/or hoping you enjoy the game.
Also the iconic Panther statues add a nice touch; a little more upscale than, say, the inflatable Titans’ dude.

Remember the Charlotte
This was the first time I have spent any time in this city that I have heard so much about. It was impressive.
Lots of interesting buildings downtown; friendly fans everywhere.
The Avon Walk for Breast Cancer filled the streets with lively, pink-clad participants. And with it being an election year, you can imagine there were campaign signs on nearly every corner.
One, in particular, caught my eye. I don’t know anything about this candidate or her political persuasion, but you have to like her name!
Fall Colors
On the drive over and back, I think I timed things perfectly to be able to enjoy some peak fall colors.
And the weather for the entire trip was magnificent!

Best Friend
But it wasn’t the game…or the sights…or the signs…or the leaves…that made this trip.
It was being able to spend 3 great days hanging out with my best friend. As I mentioned to Ed in one of our discussions, I have known him 40+ years; longer than any other person who isn’t a family member.
It’s a long-lasting and special friendship. We had a great time this weekend. Ate some great food. Watched some sports and classic tv. And told and re-told some of our favorite stories.
Mostly, we just enjoyed hanging out, as best friends do.
JG
Originally posted 10/29/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment