I’ve said it before; I’ll say it again. I am not a fan of the ‘fall back’ time change.
In our house, it’s a 50/50 split (at least, I think my son is with me on this). The ladies are firmly in the pro ‘fall back’ camp. Roger is the swing vote and I’d say he’s truly non-committal (especially if he has a warm place to sleep and plenty of treats).
As for me, this time of year – when it is still fairly warm outside – I like to have the ability to get outside after work and get things done.
- Leaf raking
- A nice walk
- Winterizing the house or yard
But these days, when I get home from work, I look outside and all I see is…darkness.

All the proponents of ‘fall back’ talk about the benefits and they decry 'spring forward.’ But, there seems to be a mixed bag when it comes to news about the dark time.
I don’t mind the dark during the winter. We’re still six weeks out, however, from the change of seasons.
At the holidays, for example, there is a certain intimacy that the early darkness adds to a family gathering. And in the dead of winter, with snow on the ground and a chill in the air, the darkness seems appropriate. Who doesn’t like a nice warm cup of cocoa, a snuggly blanket and a comfy couch on winter nights.
At least the ‘fall back’ time change comes later in the year than before. When trick or treaters would start running their Oct. 31 route, I hated that the little ones would have to start out in the dark. It definitely seemed safer when government officials pushed back the switch to early November.
On the plus side, we switched out the batteries in all the smoke detectors on Saturday before we adjusted the clocks. It is nice, at least, to be able to tie the time change to a good safety practice.
I’m not going to be able to change the practice - or any opinions for that matter - so I’ll just go along with it and think ahead to when we get to spring forward!
JG
Originally posted 11/3/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment