November is a very good month.
The heart of autumn, it serves as the bridge between regular fall days and the upcoming holiday season. Who doesn’t love the sensory explosion of Thanksgiving morning and how it ushers in the start of “the most wonderful time of the year?”
More on that as the month unfolds.
November’s name comes from the Latin, Novem (which means nine). It’s hard to imagine that November would be the ninth month of the year but that was the case in the ancient Roman calendar.
Apart from the coming of the holidays, November is a good month in its own right. For example, it’s a great sports month.
The college and pro football seasons begin to build to a crescendo and successful high school football teams begin the postseason and while hockey and basketball seasons begin, we baseball geeks enjoy the start of the offseason.
On a personal note, in November, we celebrate my dad’s birthday. November was also the month when Lisa’s mom was born.
And, November is a big anniversary month.
Today, for example, is my first anniversary on my job. Last year, I detailed my job search and how it resulted in me being hired for my current position. I love it. I love the work. I love my team.
If November is a month when we express reasons we are thankful, then I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that I’m very thankful for this job.
And then there was 1984.
During this week 30 years ago, I officially met Lisa for the first time (and as I teased her last night, and it was all downhill from there!). In all seriousness, November 9 has always marked an important milestone for us. When you meet the person you are going to spend the rest of your life with, obviously, it’s an amazing turning point.
The two of us had back-to-back morning classes together (in venerable ol’ room 317). During the break between classes that morning, she was relaxing in the lobby and I walked over to introduce myself.
It was not, however, love at first sight. Well, maybe it was for me…but as I recall, Lisa wasn’t overly impressed with my brash, youthful confidence and my Peter Brady hairstyle.

She warmed up to me, though.
And so you see, for this reason and the others I stated earlier, November is a very good month. Crisp autumn air and warm family gatherings; birthdays and anniversaries.
Lots of reasons to be thankful.
JG
11/4/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment