Thursday, February 2, 2023

O Canada

As Lisa and I got closer and closer to our wedding day, we kept checking off the myriad details on our to do list as young couples do.

One day, she brought up the idea of our honeymoon. She said she wanted to do something a little different; something unique and special. How would I feel about Montreal and Quebec City?

I loved the idea. We planned our honeymoon, made all the arrangements and soon we were on our way; a young couple off for a great adventure.

The destination was perfect for a honeymoon – romantic, special, meaningful. Someday – maybe on our next anniversary – I will write more about our honeymoon adventure.

I was probably slightly more impressed with Montreal; she fell in love with Quebec City. As we were walked through the charming streets of Old Quebec one day, she snapped this photo of me. She has always said it is one of her favorites.

image

In a like manner, I say that trip is one of my favorites. It was a perfect honeymoon destination. Canada has always held a special place in my heart and this affinity grew ten-fold after our honeymoon.

I have made four subsequent journeys north of the border. Each has been special in its own way. 

Perhaps it is because of personal experience but I always think of our Canadian friends on this day. Today, they mark their annual birthday celebration.

Just as we will do later this week (and the French later this month on the 14th), our neighbors to the north will enjoy backyard barbecues and main street parades. There will be a concert at the capitol and the Toronto suburbs will be filled with the tantalyzing, wafting scent of Ribfest 2014

From sea to sea, Canadians are celebrating – even as we speak - on this Canada Day 2014.  They’ll sing O Canada and enjoy their day. And I, their Southern friend, offer a tip of the cap.

Enjoy a rib for me.

JG

Originally posted 7/1/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...