Saturday, January 28, 2023

On the Street Where You Live

We’ve all been trying to be more active this summer. Whether that takes the form of some treadmill time at the Y or a nice walk through the neighborhood, the ultimate goal is to get up and get off the couch at least four times a week.

Sometimes, a group of us will walk up and down our lane. On other occasions, it’s just me.

We have such a pleasant, quiet road. It’s flat; it features a dead end. It’s a nice place to walk.

And, after all, isn’t it a nice thought to enjoy your daily exercise on the street where you live?  (As an aside, I love to throw Paul a musical theater shout out when I can. I hope he appreciates the sentiment!).

image

As for the exercise, I enjoy walking with my family and I’m sure they’ll tell you that when Jabbering Jeffie is walking with them, it’s hard to get me to shut up!

I also enjoy my quiet walks alone. I did this each of the last two weekends.

Weekend mornings on my street are very quiet. And I enjoy that quiet time. I enjoy having the time to pray and to (as Holly says) ‘think thoughts.’

I also enjoy listening to the sounds of a sleepy neighborhood awakening to another beautiful morning – the sounds of bees buzzing, the purr of air conditioners whirring the first breaths of cool air on a summer day, the chattering of happy birds hopping from branch to branch along the tree-lined route.

This weekend, I saw poppa cardinal criss-crossing the street and I heard the exotic sound of a red bellied woodpecker; I identified the mournful cry of a red-tailed hawk from deep in the woods and chuckled at the clever antics of a mockingbird.

Later, I saw blue jays darting around, no doubt preparing for their annual ritual of ‘anting’ in my back yard (true to form, I saw them engaging in this curious practice later that same day. It was almost exactly a year  from when I wrote about watching them do this - in the same spot - last year).

Because of the maturity of the wooded lots and greenspaces, our neighborhood is a wonderful home for birds. And the pretty colors of the neatly manicured lawns and professional landscaping make the morning walk that much more pleasing.

After I finish my walk, it’s time for a shower and I’m ready for further action. I’m usually that much more productive because I got the day off to an excellent start.

JG

Originally posted 6/30/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...