Thursday, February 2, 2023

I Believe That...

  As we head toward the long July 4th weekend, there are a number of  
  thoughts I’ve been thinking.

For one thing, when I went out for my evening walk last night, I was met by a wall of humidity. Welcome to July, right? Last night’s walk was a grinder. Nothing like the bucolic strolls I wrote about earlier this week.

Otherwise, I Believe That:

I Believe That We Will Win
Team USA’s impressive run in the World Cup has surely boosted our stature on the international stage. Even though the Americans lost 2-1 to Belgium yesterday, they did so with another gritty performance.

Meanwhile, at home, nothing sells like success. I have to believe that if we had gone nil-three in pool play, this burst of national pride would have been more subdued. But, we are used to winning things and this team captured our attention with a win, a draw and two razor-thin losses.


Now…here’s something else I believe. As much as Americans like success they also like Americans. I predict the country’s attention will turn to backyard barbecues this weekend and, whereas the soccer community will definitely turn in to watch some key matches, I doubt the general public will pay much attention. 


Also, I believe…that I will always associate that chant with Paul’s tenure as “Admiral Dave” when he would salute the throng of FHS faithful as they professed their positive attitude for Farragut


image


Gas Prices
There is always some industry analyst prepared to explain the reason for the latest hike in gas prices. Whereas I fully understand the unrest in Iraq could play a role in causing our gas prices to inch up, the talking heads always seem to ignore the obvious. Gas prices always seem to rise when Americans are set to travel – for summer vacations, for the Fourth of July, during the holidays… 


You can almost set you budget by it. Anyway, that’s something I believe…


Car Shopping
Speaking of gas…


We’re in the process of acquiring a used car for Paul to drive around town (and when he heads back to college next month). The good news is we are getting close to having this deal done.  Even though I have only been involved on the periphery, something else I believe: I believe that it is never easy to buy a car.

You have the usual haggling (that part is never enjoyable) and then, of course, there is the part where you have to work with the bank, which can be tedious.


Still, everything is coming together and we should have the car by the end of the day tomorrow.

At least I believe we will…


JG


Originally posted 7/2/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...