Thursday, February 16, 2023

The Great Facebook Experiment

By now, you probably know that I took a roughly six week break from Facebook; gave it up for Lent.

Truly, Lent gave me the opportunity to disengage because I was finding that Facebook had become more a source of aggravation than adulation.  Maybe I received one too many game-playing requests; encountered one last caustic political posts? Whatever the case, I logged off for a while

Holly and Paul say the break wasn’t a true break because I still logged on to post the daily blog URLs for Coach Jeff’s Blog. Now, granted this is true. On the other hand, I announced that exemption up front.  I simply couldn’t figure out a better way to do it.

Rest assured, if I repeat the practice in the future, I will work out those logistical details. And you know what, I just may do that.

Here’s the take-away from my break away: I found I didn’t really miss it.

If there was any pertinent news via FB, Lisa was able to update me. I certainly didn’t miss political posts. 

The biggest thing I missed was the opportunity to wish all my FB friends a Happy Birthday.  As much as I wanted to do so, I felt like that would have really invalidated my observance. So, if you’ll bear with me, let me take the opportunity to wish all my FB friends who had a birthday in March, early April and late February a collective Happy Birthday!

image

Belated, of course.

Now, moving forward, what does all of this mean? In the big picture, not much. I’m not planning to run out and permanently log off.

I may, however, engage a little less often. 

Don’t get me wrong, it’s an excellent communication channel that allows one to stay in touch with friends who are scattered throughout the country, from Maine to Malibu. It’s also a great way to distribute a blast of information, such as when Lisa is organizing one of our FHS theater alumni parents (Class of ’13) get-togethers.

I don’t play any of the online games and, as I’ve mentioned here, I try to adhere to my politics-free zone online.  Now I want to spend even less time with the tool in general. With the advent of the warm spring weather, I’ll be outside more often and will have less need for inside activities.

But, winter will come again and the internet is a pleasant diversion on cold, blustery nights. So, I don’t plan to go away for ever…maybe just a slight cut-back.

In the meantime, I look around the kitchen table and see a bunch of chocolate! Maybe that is some inspiration for next year? 

JG

Originally posted 4/7/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...