Thursday, February 9, 2023

An Old Friend

I ran into an old friend last week and it was very nice to see him.

As we were starting our conversation, I wondered how much time had passed since we last spoke. My best guess is it has been about 10 years.

Of course, you know how it is with old friends. It takes no time at all until you’re back in the swing; plowing familiar common ground that forms the foundation of your friendship. Common experiences; common friends; common history.

When I start doing the math, it’s quite possible that I’ve known this guy as long as (or close to anyway) any non-relative in my life. I think I met Ed first. But this friend would come in a close second along that timeline. 

As we were growing up, he was the kid who had all the cool gadgets, so it was always fun to set up a playdate with him. I remember one time we made creepy crawlers (spiders, lizards, etc.) with his gadget, the Mattel® Thing-Maker. It was essentially was a machine that cooked rubber – poured into a mold - until it congealed into the preferred critter.

He and I both had common toys, too. For example, we both had very healthy collections of Hot Wheels cars.

image

We would set up elaborate race tracks. I’d run my cars against his. Usually, he got the better of me but occasionally, one of my speedsters prevailed.

We also had similar NFL electric football games. I remember, for some reason, I had the game with the Raiders and the N.Y. Jets (presumably re-creating the infamous Heidi Game?). He had the Browns and Packers. So, we would often dream-up unique match-ups for our teams. Jets vs. Browns. Raiders vs. Packers. Packers vs. Jets. You get the idea. 

As kids, we spent a lot of fun, carefree hours together.

In high school, we were still pals but, over the course of time, we started to drift in separate directions. Later, when I had completed college and I moved back home before Lisa and I got married, he was also back home. He told me that he really wanted to start college. One day, the two of us went to campus to try to help him get enrolled. 

It never happened. Sadly. I guess he developed a case of cold feet.

Over the years, life has not been easy for my friend. He has bounced around a bit. There is a bit of an edge in his voice; a bit of weariness in his face. As always, he still talks big. He always did; always has. There is always another big plan coming.

The big plan is still out there waiting for the taking…even after all these years.

I said a quick prayer for my friend after we ran into each other that night and many days since. We pledged that we’d get together and catch up. And we may still do so.

I hope for the best for him and I prayed for his health and happiness and well-being and I pray that, wherever it is, he finds the happy place he has been searching for since we were kids.

Since the last electric football match we played; since the last great Hot Wheels race.

JG

Originally posted 8/27/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Plug and Play

As ham radio operators go I am not very technically savvy. In fact, I'd say, if super duper hams are 10.0 on the sliding scale of techni...