Thursday, February 9, 2023

Timbits

Sprinting through the terminal at Toronto Pearson’s International Airport on our family’s return trip from Europe back in May, I spotted a familiar logo. I smiled, momentarily, but then had to keep moving as our travel schedule demanded a frenetic pace.

Still, I thought, it sure would have been nice to stop for a moment to have a delicious snack at the airport location of Tim Horton’s.

If you have been a long-term reader of Coach Jeff’s Blog, you know that I have enjoyed my trips north of the border and have enjoyed sampling Canadian brands and delicacies (with the exception of poutine; I draw the line at poutine). And so, it shouldn’t surprise you to know that we have stopped at Tim Horton’s locations during our various trips north of the border. We first did so in ’98.

image

Most recently in 2010; unfortunately we could not do so during our two very short stays – less than an hour each time - in Toronto in May.

To summarize, Tim Horton’s is a Canada-based chain founded in 1964. It is well known for its gourmet coffee and breakfast treats. I’ve always been a fan of Timbits – tiny, tasty donut holes.

Horton, the company’s namesake, was an NHL hockey player - a defenseman - and one of the co-owners of the company. He died in a car accident in 1974. The company continued to grow, however, with Ron Joyce as the sole owner. Eventually, the chain spread from Ontario across Canada into the northern tier of U.S. states.

It’s a Canadian classic.

Imagine my surprise, then, when the news broke yesterday of a possible merger – a takeover, really – between Tim Horton’s and Burger King. Burger King would take over Tim Hortons. Crullers meet the King. Not sure how I feel about this.

Some folks respond to the news with a shrug of the shoulders and a dismissive ‘eh. Others find it to be a whopper of a tax dodge and lobby for a boycott. Moving the corporate headquarters outside the Lower 48 will save the company in tax dollars. It’s almost like the burger giant wants to have it their way.

Still, the deal would allow the Canadian confectioner to expand globally.

So, you see, the picture is as mixed and murky as a breakfast latte.

Actually, the practice of a U.S. based fast food chain taking over Tim Horton’s wouldn’t be unprecedented. In the 1990s, Wendy’s purchase Tim Horton’s and, eventually, spun it off as a separate entity in the mid 00’s.  You’d think Canadian brands would be Canadian and U.S. brands would stay fully Yank. What’s next? The Colonel takes over Swiss Chalet? Mc Do buys Harvey’s? 

I should ask Holly to ask her Canadian friend his take.

It might well be like the guy quoted in the Toronto Star article. He said, in essence, if the menu items maintain their high quality, he doesn’t care who is at the helm.

It’s quite a comforting idea, when you think about it.

JG

Originally posted 8/26/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...