I’ve really resisted writing about it up to this point but I’ve decided to give in. It’s all anyone is talking about. So, yes, yes, let’s talk about the weather.
Folks are ticked off at the groundhog and even madder because a week labeled as “Spring Break’ on the calendar has seen daily snow showers and temperatures in the 30s.
Still, it’s not the first time.
Major League baseball opens its regular season this Sunday with a full slate of games to follow next Monday and Tuesday. And even though we think of baseball as a warm weather sport, there have been many Opening Day games played in the snow.
To be fair, locations from Cincinnati to destinations in the north are not southern cities like ours. I don’t remember any snow-outs in Atlanta, Texas or Miami.
I think what is frustrating local citizens the most is that the calendar says late March. It’s time for Easter bonnets and egg hunts. It’s time for outdoor activities. There are lawns to be mowed; flowers to be planted; gardens to be tended.
And yet…it’s still snowing.
The spring breakers who headed to deep Southern destinations may have escaped these tricks of Old Man Winter, who continues to stick around like an unwanted party guest after midnight. I’m afraid the young FHS chorus students who are taking their spring break in New York City drove right into the cold. Still, that didn’t stop them from visiting The Today Show bright and early this morning.
It’s easy to ignore the discomfort when you’re zipping around the city that never sleeps.
For the record, this is not the first time we have had freaky late blasts of cold (nor will it likely be the last). I remember my senior year in high school, I went to a play at the school and I wore a sweater on that early May evening.
More recently – 1987, I think – we had a real blast of late season cold air. I remember that my grandfather was in town from Memphis. He delayed his trip home to wait for the roads to clear and the temps to warm up. Meanwhile, my folks had a healthy amount of the white stuff at their house, easily measured by the amount of snow on top of their barbecue grill. And at the farm house we were renting at the time, you can see it looked like a Winter Wonderland…in April!

Wintery precip mixing with spring-time activities just doesn’t add up to warm feelings. We like our winter to happen in winter. For spring, we want fun in the sun.
Here on Coach Jeff’s Blog, we are all about being positive. Here the good news: If you can hang on another day or so, the long-range forecast is good. Checking weather.com, you’ll find ‘Partly Cloudy and 57’ for a high on Good Friday; 61 on Easter Sunday. By mid-week, we’re back into the mid 60s. WBIR.com confirms the forecast.
How’s that for some good news?
JG
(Source: weather.com)
Originally posted 3/26/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment