Thursday, January 19, 2023

Prayers for a Family

Tonight, we welcomed Paul home from his spring break chorus trip to New York City. During the day, I thought about him from time to time as his bus made its way southward along I-81 but I didn’t dwell on it.

Spring breakers travel far and wide every year. We’ve made several of those spring break trips, too. We’ve also traveled extensively in the summers, too, for family vacations. Lots of folks do.

We take certain things – like safe travel - for granted.

Maybe that is why I have been so struck by the tragic story we learned of last weekend about the Bresette family from Overland Park, KS (suburb of KC). They, too, had taken a spring break trip. They went to Destin, FL and as families do, I’m sure they had a collection of great stories of family adventures to share when they got home.

They were preparing to fly from Birmingham to KC when an arrivals and departures sign fell on top of many members of the large, close-knit family. No one really knows why the sign fell and an investigation is underway.

Their son, 10-year-old Luke, died an hour after the accident. Two of his younger brothers, Sam, 8 and Tyler, 5, were also hospitalized with injuries from the accident. Their mother, Heather, has suffered two broken ankles and a broken pelvis. She endured a number of surgeries and is still hospitalized. Their father, Ryan, and two older siblings were not injured by the falling sign but were obviously devastated by the accident.

How many times have we all stood in front of airport arrival and departure boards checking on the status of our flights? I’m sure we did, in fact, when WE flew to KC a few years ago.

image

In any case, no one expects one of those 400 pound signs will fall on us?

We take certain things – like building safety – for granted.

Extended family members rushed to Alabama to support the family and the warm people of our neighboring state to the South have come forward to support this family.  Members of the Alabama Crimson Tide football team visited Sam in the hospital earlier this week. .

The Catholic Diocese of Birmingham is collecting funds for the family. Donations can be sent to: the Diocese of Birmingham, P.O. Box 12047, Birmingham, AL 35202. Another fund has been created by the FBI Birmingham Citizens Academy Alumni Association. Ryan Bresette is a member of the FBI Kansas City Citizens Academy alumni association. Donors can make the checks out to FBI-CAAA for the Bresette family and mail them to Cadence Bank, 2100 Third Ave. North, Birmingham, AL 35203.

That’s one of the great things about people. In times of tragedy, they want to help. We’ve seen this time and time again in the aftermath of large national disasters. But we also see it on a smaller scale when one family is in need.

As for our family, I was thrilled to see Paul when he came home tonight just as I was last summer when we welcomed Holly home after her 5 week study abroad program.

We take certain things for granted. Tonight, I sent up a prayer of Thanksgiving for Paul’s safe travels this week and those of his classmates.

When he got home, he was excited to tell us about all of his adventures of the past five days. It was great to hear all the stories.

I also offered up a prayer for the Bresette family as they continue to recover from physical injuries and deeper emotional pain…and as the good people of Alabama surround them with love and comfort during this difficult time.

JG


Note: You can read more about this story here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/27/4146249/family-in-airport-tragedy-grateful.html

Originally posted 3/28/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...