I feel certain that most Americans over a particular age have a story about how they heard the traumatic news about the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Sometimes, sharing those stories is one of our coping mechanisms.
It’s hard to believe that 12 years have transpired since 9/11/01 and the first time we saw those horrific images. Many of those images will return to cable as various networks mark the occasion with flashback video and documentary specials.
Our family and I spent time reflecting about the anniversary this summer when we watched a documentary and visited a 9/11 exhibit at the Newseum in Washington, D.C. Holly snapped this poignant photo of newspaper front pages on display at the exhibit.

As we meet the anniversary again, it seems Americans are juggling conflicting emotions – the desire for a return to a pre-9/11 peace vs. the need to ‘never forget.’ This annual struggle comes as the current administration tries to rally a war-weary electorate to support new military action and the world at large searches for avenues toward peace.
I was thinking about the tragic events of 12 years ago and personalizing them as I put them in the context of our family. My two children – now young adults – can barely remember a pre-9/11 world. Holly, the oldest, was just nine at the time of the attacks and probably remembers more about those relatively peaceful times; Paul was six and likely does not.
Their entire generation has been shaped, if not defined, by a world at war.
As parents, we try to comfort our children and shield them from horror but it’s nearly impossible to do so in the wake of an unprecedented scenario and the barrage of the 24-7 news cycle. Your quixotic efforts in such a situation led you to try and be honest with them and assure them you – and our leaders - were doing everything possible to keep them safe.
I feel like we did a good job when we were making it up ‘on the fly.’
In the wave of patriotism that followed 9/11, our children participated in a number of school programs designed to rally unity. At the one-year anniversary commemoration, for example, Paul led the children at Farragut Primary School in the Pledge of Allegiance. Later, as the notion of community service grew, both Holly and Paul matriculated through their middle school and high school years with that as a pillar of their educational foundation.
Holly built a strong resume of volunteerism, serving as the club president for one of the service clubs at FHS. She coordinated the high school’s efforts to field a successful Relay For Life team. She also volunteered numerous hours at Farragut Baseball, Inc. Paul focused his strong volunteer efforts through the baseball league as well, and later through theatre workdays and efforts to build the Admiral’s Performing Arts Company and the high school’s Comedy Improv Team.
Their notion of community service and volunteerism is strong to this day. I appreciate this as it follows the example Lisa and I have tried to set for them. We have always believed in active community service; a way to give a little something back to the community we love.
All across America, citizens will renew this commitment to community service, tomorrow, to mark the 12th anniversary. Other citizens will attend ceremonies and religious services. Still others will spend the day in quiet reflection.
I plan to let the Coach Jeff’s Blog take a day off as a way of silent tribute.
But I’ll be back on Thursday to discuss whatever seems relevant and meaningful. In addition to our commitment to service, I think moving forward is the most appropriate way to mark the occasion of 9/11.
That’s what all citizens of our nation had to do on the morning after 12 years ago.
JG
Originally posted 9/10/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment