When I received my copy of the Farragut Press today, I learned it was the special 25th Anniversary Edition.
In the midst of a busy week with lots of things going on in the world, I let that date slip up on me. Twenty-five years ago this week, the first edition of the newspaper was published. But it should’ve been an easy milestone to remember for, as Paul once sang in a musical, “I know ‘cos I was there.”
I am very proud of the fact that Doug Horne hired me to be the first editor of the Farragut Press. When we put together that first edition back in September 1988, it was the culmination of a long and exciting summer. We hired and trained staff, selected and purchased computers and fully outfitted a news room, ad department, composition area and a dark room and then began putting together that first edition.
I kept a copy of that Sept. 13 1988 issue for my files. I pulled it out to take a look at it today.

The main article in today’s edition quotes Horne as well as Nick Drewry, who served as the first publisher of the paper. Nick was my boss and we’ve stayed in touch over the years. I’ve also had some nice conversations with Tony Cox, RNI president and chief manager of Horne Radio, LLC, over the years.

Alan Sloan, who wrote today’s anniversary piece, is a dedicated journalist who also penned many articles about Farragut Baseball, Inc. while I was involved in that organization. Later, when my volunteerism shifted to FHS theatre, Sloan and the Farragut Press continued its excellent coverage as it does for our entire community.
You might call me an 'alumnus,’ of sorts, but a proud alumnus at that! When I read the Farragut Press has celebrated yet another milestone, I feel a certain sense of pride.
So, here’s a tip of the cap to Mr. Horne and the Farragut Press team that does such a wonderful job providing news coverage of our community. Happy 25th Anniversary!
JG
Originally posted 9/12/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment