Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Top 10 Gary Stories of 2013 (Part II)

Editor’s Note – Yesterday on Coach Jeff’s Blog, we reviewed stories 6-10 during the first part of our year-end retrospective. Today, we’ll count down the top five Gary Stories of 2013 as well as the honorable mentions. We’ll start with those.

Honorable Mention Stories:

Holly’s internship at UT. Paul’s 1st job (at Fireworks), personal health, Holly’s work at Archer’s. Also of note were some of the fun father/daughter adventures that Holly and I enjoyed while I was off and before she headed to France. We went for a hike; we went canoeing. We even took a road trip to Atlanta, together, as she was getting all her necessary paperwork to the French consulate.

Turning 50 (# 5)

Lisa and I both enjoyed milestone birthdays during 2013. Many of you may have participated in the ’50 Birthday Cards in 50 Days’ celebration to commemorate her birthday in February. Once a day, starting January 1 and going through the big day, she received a special birthday card from a friend or family member.

As for me, I was thrilled when we hosted a big bash in June, right after my big day. Friends from various chapters of my life joined family members in feting me that day. 

image

Paul at College (#4)

Paul has just returned home after a very successful first semester at MTSU. He has gotten plugged into the campus community and met a number of friends while strengthening the bonds with his friends from Farragut and those ‘back home.’ His coursework has gone very well.

Meanwhile, he has continued to excel as a performer. In late September, he played a supporting role in Les Mis and in early November, he starred (along with his counterpart, “Frog”) in the MTSU production of “A Year With Frog and Toad.”

image

 

Holly in France (#3)

Holly is also ‘home for the holidays’ after completing the first half of her assignment as a teaching assistant in the French coastal town of Cherbourg. In addition to teaching French high school students who are learning the English language, she has also had the opportunity to do a great deal of travel.

What a wonderful opportunity for a creative and talented young adult!

image

 

The Graduations (#2)

Before Holly and Paul could pursue items 3-4, of course, they needed to finish their previous major obligation! In May, both of them graduated (Holly from UT; Paul from FHS).

Holly sped through her undergraduate years in record time, completing her degree in Journalism (with a minor in French) in just three years. She is now considering various options for grad school.

As for Paul, his senior year was rich with activities, relationships and experiences. He won a second straight storytelling title at state competition (for the Tennessee High School Speech and Drama League) and starred as the Major General in the FHS production of “Pirates of Penzance.”

 

image

New Job (#1)

I am extremely proud and happy about my new job. I feel blessed to have landed in a good situation.

After getting the news that I would need to engage in an unexpected job search, I put every bit of energy and ingenuity into finding the right fix – a place where I could do good work and put down roots and, back in the fall, my search was very fruitful.

I would be remiss if I didn’t acknowledge the countless people who helped me in this successful search – people who gave me advice, provided job leads, prayed for me or simply gave me solid encouragement.

Even as I celebrate my good news, I am mindful that there are many people I know who are still searching; folks who find themselves in similar situations as I encountered back in April. If I can be of any help to any of my friends, I will do so. I guess you’d say I feel compelled to ‘pay it forward.’

In the meantime, the new job is going very well. I love the work and enjoy my co-workers. What a great way to finish 2013 (and to look ahead to 2014 with tremendous excitement and enthusiasm).

image

So…there you have it – the Top 10 Gary Stories for 2013. I appreciate all of you for tuning into Coach Jeff’s Blog throughout this year and I hope you’ll continue to enjoy the postings in 2014!

JG

Originally posted 12/23/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...