Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Top 10 Gary Stories of 2013 (Part I)

Editor’s Note - One of my favorite features of Coach Jeff’s Blog is the annual Year-in-Review. I love to take the time to look back at the year and think of all the most important activities of the year and summarize them here in a two part series. Here, then, is the first part of our year-end retrospective.

Roger the Cat, Always in Charge (# 10)

In a year full of change, Roger the Cat has been the one constant around our house. He is grumpier than ever; more demanding by the day. As various members of the household headed for their autumn destinations, he seemed a little wary (as there always needs to be someone around to access ‘the secret food’ for him).

At the end of the day, Roger always has something to say (and it usually materializes in the form of some command for his people).

image

 
Making Lemonade (House Projects During the Summer of ’13 (#9)

With some unexpected downtime for me – and everyone else at home –the Summer of ’13 was a very productive time for us. We completed a number of household projects. We cleaned out closets, made room in storage closets, filled the recycling bin and, in short, got our house in order. Some of the work proved to be fruitful as we even hosted (a successful) yard sale in late June.

image


Sports Recap: Not a Great Year for the Home Team(s) (#8)

It’s hard to imagine, but our personal sports highlight for 2013 may have happened just four days into the new year, with the Memphis vs. Tennessee basketball game.

Otherwise, the Braves had a fairly successful season (coming up short in the postseason) and the Titans are well on their way to another mediocre/non playoff season. The good news is that, as a family, we were able to enjoy a couple Braves games and I’ve been to Titans games with both Holly and Paul.

 

image


Doing Excellent Work (#7)

I don’t spent as much time as I should in Coach Jeff’s Blog bragging on my wonderful wife. Lisa does wonderful work in her job as Senior Lecturer in Journalism and Electronic Media at UT. She works hard. She serves as a mentor and role model for her students and works hard to take care of them. She is well-liked and popular. I am proud of her! She continued to do great work in 2013 and that will be the case in 2014 as well.

image


D.C. ‘13 (#6)

We were blessed to be able to celebrate the summer with a fantastic family vacation to Washington D.C. We saw plenty of the traditional monuments, museums and memorials. We’ll always remember this trip as ‘the one when the Washington Monument had a metallic wrapper around it.”

We also saw a show and a ballgame. But, probably the most memorable moments from the D.C. trip happened on our last night in town – the Paul McCartney concert at Nationals’ Park. At one point I was thinking to myself, “Maybe I’m Amazed.” And then, I realized I really was!

image


Readers’ Choice

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, one of the wrinkles for this year’s Top 10 is a Reader’s Choice entry for the year-end wrap-up. I looked back at a number of my blog entries for 2013 and found that a number of the topics prompted great exchanges with Coach Jeff readers. None were more interactive, though, than the posts relating to The Weather.

From my piece on the lush green fields in the spring to the summer rain to the fall colors to wintery weather around Thanksgiving, the topics on the weather seemed to really strike a chord. Maybe it’s because this was a unique year, climatologically-speaking. Or perhaps it’s just something we all have in common. Whatever the case, no Top Gary Stories of…blog would be complete without it. So, the Readers’ Choice entry for 2013…The Weather!

image

Note – Tomorrow, look for all of the honorable mention entries in this year’s countdown…as well as the Top 5 Gary Stories of 2013 (counting all the way down to the #1 Gary Story for 2013).

Originally posted 12/22/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...