Thursday, January 26, 2023

There’s a smile in every…tube?

One of our favorite stories from when Paul was a little tyke involved the brushing of teeth.

I should clarify…he’d enjoy watching one of us brush our teeth. Often, he’d stand up in his crib – located in the corner of our bedroom by our bathroom door – and watch me shave and brush my teeth. It was built-in entertainment each morning as I was getting ready for work.

He’d chuckle when I finished brushing. “Puh, puh,” he’d say, imitating the sound I’d make when I was doing my final expectoration at the end of the session.

He really seemed to enjoy the whole tooth brushing exercise.

I wonder what the tiny toddler would have thought, then, about the latest news from Crest. It seems like we will no longer have just the usual minty flavors available to us. Crest is in the process of rolling out a new line of toothpastes featuring tantalizing flavors such as lime, vanilla and…yes…chocolate under the Crest Be label.

Somehow, the development seems incongruent with the enterprises of sweet makers like Hershey’s. I guess they make the sweets and Crest helps you protect your teeth from them. And, both involve a smile.  Now, it seems, both involve chocolate.

What do you think Willy Wonka would say about the news? (What do you think Paul would have said about that when he was playing the role of Willy Wonka).

image

Indeed, this seems like a new golden age of chocolate.

You can enjoy it. And then brush your teeth with it. Seems like something the candy man, himself, would’ve invented. It would be a featured item - right along with chocolate squiggles and chocolate swirlies, marketed beside the chocolate river.

I guess the whole idea of these new savory selections is to entice children to want to brush more frequently (and to brush more thoroughly). And none of us can argue with that. I have an appointment with the dentist next week. Perhaps I should ask his opinion about this product in terms of its appeal…and maybe its effectiveness, too.

For the Crest folks, the notion is even more basic. Sell more tubes. Sell more paste.

It’s not enough that we have gel, extra white, super enamel and just plain ol’ paste. Now, we have deluxe cocoa. Oh, and vanilla and lime too. Key lime paste. Has a nice ring to it, doesn’t it?

I know I sound like a bit of a skeptic and I suppose I am. Over the years, I have seen novelty products come and go. New Coke, anyone?

Some of these innovations stick; others fade into the super clearance aisle at your local grocery store…near the Duck Dynasty Chia Pets. It’s the natural ebb and flow of commerce.

Still, I have to admit the whole notion of a milk chocolate mouth rinse does sound somewhat appealing.

JG

Originally posted 1/30/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...