Thursday, January 26, 2023

Dental Hygiene

Some months ago I wrote about my unpleasant experiences at my former dentist’s office. I called the office Mega Dental Mart because of the high sales pressure tactics and overabundance of promotional materials and point of purchase displays.

I am happy to report my new dentist is nothing like that. In the new office, they just do dentistry and a little education at the same time.

image

To be fair, I came to Mega Dental Mart having taken a break from caring for my teeth. So, there was some catching up to do when I first walked into their office.  That’s on me.

I suspect I never overcame the stigma of the big red stamp they placed in my chart that said “This guy’s a chump for ignoring dental care for five years!”

After they nursed me back to good dental health, the pressure sales tactics continued. The pushed high priced mouth rinses and higher priced electric toothbrush units.

I would write the whole experience off as being just my cantankerous reply to arm twisting…but Lisa experienced the similar in-your-face approach.

It was time for us to change.

So, like all good New Year’s Resolutions, this one is off to a good start. I had a pleasant first experience in the office of the new dentist. Maybe that’s why I have written two tooth-related blogs in a row!

I was greeted by professional, friendly staff. There wasn’t anything too painful or unpleasant in the experience.

My first visit included the expected battery of forms to complete. Once I had finished giving my personal history, we proceeded. I went into one of the exam rooms. The hygienist made some x-rays and executed a close inspection of my teeth. Later, she asked me some questions.

It was all good stuff.

I think, as patients (as consumers) we aren’t expecting entertainment and good times from our trips to the dentist. I think we are looking for good quality professional care and a pleasant interaction.  My experience at the old place did not meet those expectations.

But I am happy to report that things went much better at the new place. 

And look mah…no caveties. Well…ok…just one.

JG

Originally posted 2/3/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...