Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Thank You

Around this time of year, the Tennessee Titans spend a Sunday afternoon saying thanks to our brave men and women in the U.S. Armed Forces. 

During that game, there’s often a flyover, a special tribute to each of the branches of the military at halftime and a pre-game ceremony during which many military personnel take the field with a large flag just before the playing and singing of our National Anthem.

image

If you haven’t been to this game before, I think you’d really enjoy it. It’s quite a fitting tribute. One of the best parts is when all of the fans who have served in the military stand and the rest of us applaud to say ‘Thank You.’

I’ve been to this game many times but I did not go this year. Still, on this Veterans’ Day, I’d like to take this opportunity to applaud; to say 'Thank You’ for your service.

  • To My Uncles, who served in various branches of the Armed Forces and my cousin, Mike, who served in the Air Force.
  • To the various family members - in both my family and Lisa’s - that we learned about during our genealogy research. Many ancestors have proud records of military service. 
  • To countless co-workers and colleagues, who are veterans, that I have had the opportunity to work with throughout the years. 
  • To my best friend, Ed, who also served in the Air Force. To him, I give a special 'Thank Ye, Thank Ye, Thank Ye.’
  • To my dad, who served in the Army. He dealt with bitter cold on military maneuvers, served his country, learned a skill and saw some amazing sights. To him, a special 'Shout Out’ and thanks.

And finally, to all the unnamed brave soldiers and sailors, airmen and marines and to other special friends I may have not mentioned. A heartfelt thanks to all of you for the service you have given.

Happy Veterans’ Day.

JG

Originally posted 11/11/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...