Tuesday, January 24, 2023

This is Braves Country

I have been to Turner Field more than any other Major League Baseball park. After we’ve traveled to see games in parks in other parts of the country, on the next time back to Atlanta I’ve often told Lisa “It’s nice to be back to our home.”

Our address may soon be changing.

The Atlanta ballclub rocked the baseball world and Braves Country in particular, yesterday, with the announcement that they are looking to move to the suburbs in 2017. Hey, everyone else is moving north, so why not the team?

In fact, a map included in the comprehensive coverage of the planned relocation in yesterday’s edition of the AJC, really depicts how the team’s ticket base skews north of Fulton County. In that way, I guess, the move makes perfect sense. When you add the fact in that Turner Field is starting to age and would require a number of costly renovations as the team’s lease is set to expire, the story grows stronger.

Reaction in our household, as you might imagine, is mixed. Whereas I’m all for the move – hey it puts the Braves 45 minutes closer to us and and helps us to by-pass some of worst game-day gridlock I’ve ever experienced – the ladies in my household weren’t as sanguine.

Lisa was remembering the fun times we have had in our relatively new park. Holly, never an advocate of change, was more direct. She doesn’t like it. I haven’t asked Paul his opinion.

Of course, when I think about it, Turner Field is really the ballpark where both of my kids grew up.  So in that way, it’s understandable.

image

Then, there’s the whole naming thing. I guess the Braves won’t be the first team to play in a place other than the city in their name. Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, anyone? Surely the Bravos won’t be the Atlanta Braves of suburban northern Cobb County?

At the end of the day, I’m all for progress. If an increased revenue stream brings about a more competitive team, let’s do it. If an enhanced fan experience brings more fans to the ballpark, it sounds great. If I don’t have to time my arrival to the ballpark in finite fashion to avoid a traffic snarl, I’m all for it.

Of course, there are issues. What will happen with the former Olympic Stadium? Will the site be redeveloped? What of the parking lots and the neighborhoods surrounding the place?

Those are questions, I suppose, for city planners not recreational bloggers.

Still, I have to say, I loved Lisa’s observation about what to do about Turner Field? “Too bad they can’t ship it to the Oakland A’s,” she quipped.

That’s a fact.

JG

Originally posted 11/12/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...