For the past several weeks, I have been posting team baseball photos in chronological order on Facebook, It’s a part of my effort to participate in the throw-back Thursday movement.
It has been a fun exercise. Come next Thursday, I will need to do something new as I have now finished the baseball team series.
The last photo, posted today, was the championship photo taken of the Choppers after they won the Knox County Championship. Coincidentally, that photo was taken four years ago this week.

This, then, is the fourth anniversary of the Choppers championship.
Someone asked me, recently, if that moment seems recent or far off. I have to admit, it is starting to gain separation.
When the Choppers celebrated that night on the field at the Knox County Sportspark, the youngest players on the team were eighth graders. Just a few weeks ago, those young men graduated from high school and are now college bound. The oldest Choppers, who were in ninth grade four years ago, have now completed their first year of college.
So, yes, the moment seems distant.
For the last two years, I have celebrated the anniversary with a post. I was wondering, recently, when I would stop the formal commemorations in Coach Jeff’s Blog. It seems to me as I write this evening that this might be the appropriate time.
This is not to say that I won’t make references to my coaching experiences, of course. Those form a key underpinning of the blog itself.
But, I think the annual observances might start to lose their oomph over time. Can you imagine what it might look like:
It’s been 14 years since the Choppers won the championship. Did you hear about the former player who is now a CEO?
Yeah, that’s not cool. So, let’s just lose the temptation now.
Still, in this summer of fun, I don’t mind taking one last look back and remembering that special night.
JG
Originally posted 6/26/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment