Saturday, January 28, 2023

1984 Was a Real Natural

Thirty years ago, in the summer of 1984, America made an historic run to the box office.

And why wouldn’t local movie theatres have been packed that year? It was a year featuring a number of blockbluster flicks. Many of those movies from 30 years ago are considered classics today. 

GhostbustersIndiana Jones (and the Temple of Doom). Star Trek III (the Search for Spock). Karate KidSixteen Candles.

What an amazing summer.  I had a lot of fun. Had a great part-time job. Hung out with friends. Sported the Peter Brady hairstyle.

image

And…most importantly, I was just a few months away from meeting my future wife. 

As it relates to today’s topic, I’m happy to report that I was able to see all of the movies on the list.

My favorite movie, however, from the Summer of ’84 was “The Natural.” It is, in my Coach Jeff opinion, the greatest baseball movie of them all and that would put it atop quite an impressive list.

The Natural features a promising story, a conflict to thwart it and a villain to carry it out, unexpected redemption and a happy ending. Or, in other words, it’s the classic American tale!

It also features a great Coach Jeff moment from the first year of Paul’s youth baseball career. One night, after he got one of his first-ever hits, he was running the bases in slow motion. Fortunately for him, he was not tagged out. 

When he made it back to the dugout, I asked him why he was running in slow motion and he referenced the famous final scene (which was shot in slow motion). If you’re familiar with the movie, I’m sure you know the scene. And knowing that scene as I do, it was all I could do to keep a straight face when the earnest five year old told me his analysis and confided his reasoning.

In any case, I remember seeing the film in the theater that summer with my ol’ movie buff pal, Bill Cooke. And, of course, I have seen it hundreds of times since then.

I mentioned the movie recently to one of my younger friends and he referred to it as ‘an old movie.’ I recoiled, at first, and then I began to consider the definition. There have been a lot of new movies made since that epic summer. I guess the description is apt.

Still, I can’t remember another summer quite like 1984. It was amazing in many ways…especially on the silver screen.

JG

Originally posted 6/25/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...