Thursday, January 26, 2023

Remembering Boston

  Today is the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombing.
  Even though this year’s race isn’t until next week, this date will be
  commemorated with tributes planned around that city.
 
  It’s hard to believe that it has been a year, already, since that tragedy.
 
  Last year’s terror attack is the latest ‘where were you when’ moment; a
  refrain that has become all too familiar in the aftermath of Waco,
  Oklahoma City and, of course, 9/11.
  Now, Boston.
 
  I remember where I was on 4/15/13. For my previous job, I was driving
  from location to location to distribute promotional materials. I was
  listening to some programming on ESPN radio when I first heard the
  news.  
 
  Quickly, I changed the dial on my satellite radio to CNN and I listened to
  its broadcast for the rest of the day as I criss-crossed the town to finish
  that day’s task.
 
  Knoxville is a big runners town, so I think the story hit especially hard
  around here. Many local runners reported their past experiences of
  running that race and, indeed, some East Tennesseans were in Boston
  for the 2013 race.
 
  We aren’t runners in our family, but I think we were particularly affected
  because the surroundings are so familiar. To this day, the ones in our
  family will tell you that our vacation trip to Boston (and surrounding areas
  in New England) in ’07 is our all-time favorite trip.

  We spent a lot of time, during that week in July 2007, walking the streets
  of downtown Boston near where the finish line for the legendary race is
  situated. We spent lots of time in Boston Common and we saw friendly
  people, interesting performers and street vendors.    
 
  
image
 
  We say “Boston” and we immediately think back to those fun times. Now,
  we all say “Boston” and we think “Boston Strong.” We reminisce about
  our visit to Fenway Park; now we all sing a collective chorus of “Sweet
  Caroline” in tribute, following Neil Diamond’s lead.
 
  Today, we will remember those images from a year ago and pay tribute –
  in public celebrations and private meditations. We’ll think of our own
  ‘where were you when’ moment from a year ago.
 
  And we’ll pray we have no future ones as we move forward.
 
  JG

Originally posted 4/15/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...