Thursday, January 26, 2023

Quite an Aura

I’ve been shrugging my shoulders about the latest fad to take over my Facebook news feed…these ubiquitous quizzes. What ____ are you? Or What is your ____ ? (Fill in blank depending on topic).

It’s the biggest craze - other than candy - this side of Farmville.

  • What fruit are you? I saw that someone got strawberry. OK. Solid.
  • What city and state are you? Shoot for some place good and you’re all right, I guess.
  • What superhero are you? Paul got ‘The Hulk’ and so did Holly.

This Hulk-thing prompted a nice bit of witty banter among the three of us because Holly’s French students have a hard time with ‘hard H’s.’ They refer to that character is “Oolk!” She and I just talked about this a couple weeks ago.

Oolk! We chuckled.

They’ll probably snicker at my accent when I try to ask “Combien coûte ce ___? In a few weeks.  

On the heels of the Oolk outcome, came the latest ‘What ___ are you?’  quiz into my in box. It goes “What color is your aura?”

Huh?

At the risk of offending any loyal Coach Jeff’s Blog readers, I’m not calling anyone out. Honest.

I saw this posted over and over in my news feed during the last week. Thing is: I’m not even sure what an aura is.  But if I have one, I really don’t know what color it is (nor do I intend to find out).

That question seems, I don’t know, somewhat personal (especially since I don’t really know the definition). It also seems less than tangible. As in: What color is the air you are holding in your hand? Or what color is the time?

My time is Cardinal Red; My air is Hunter Green.

I haven’t even begun the quiz about the color of infinity!

If you want my honest answer, the aura query is fine. It doesn’t really bother me.  If that’s your thing, knock yourself out.

It just strikes me as a little…um…new agey for my meat-n-taters tastes. It ‘feels’ like a question you’d ask before firing up the incense and starting an hour-long meditation session.

Not exactly the kind of thing we should be discussing in a blog inspired by baseball, right?

image

When I was coaching the Choppers, we didn’t have the players do yoga. We didn’t get in touch with our inner feelings. It just wasn’t our style. The only aura we had was that of a team having some fun (and winning a few games). 

But, in case you were wondering, our colors were Navy blue, Fire engine red and American white.

JG

Originally posted 4/16/2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...