You’d think with all this ‘empty nester’ business that our schedule would slow down. I wasn’t expecting a repeat of the frenetic pace from this time a year ago.
Any thoughts of rocking chair days are far off, I suspect. Take this past weekend, for example. It was NOT a drowsy weekend.
Really, it was kind of a blur.
Lisa and I went to Middle Tennessee over the weekend. Ostensibly, we were going to MTSU to see the production of “The Drowsy Chaperone.” We wound up doing a lot more.
- Sightseeing
- Shopping
- Socializing
We were even able to squeeze in a Skype session with Holly (keeping the S theme going).
Regarding the musical, Paul was performing the role of Mr. Feldzieg. It was a great show. We laughed a lot. And we’re always proud of Paul.
I always marvel at the talent of these bright young performers including our son and his colleagues.
And speaking of talented young performers, this was also the weekend of the THSSDL forensics competition and it was also in the same general area. On Friday night, before the MTSU production, we had dinner with the FHS contingent. Then, we all went to the show.
On Saturday, the Farragut kids competed. Lisa and I managed to do a little shopping before we were able to meet Paul for lunch. Then, it was time for his 'call’ for the Saturday evening show.
That’s when Lisa and I had dinner. We couldn’t help but notice this center piece of decor at the Blue Coast Burrito location near campus.

It was colorful…just kind of random. Then, I read a bit on the company website and, I guess, the bug symbolizes that west coast beach culture.
Now, I get it.
So, traveling, virtually, from the west coast of North America to the highways of Middle Tennessee, I would say Lisa and I starting to feel comfortable navigating the place.
Over the course of the past year or so, we have learned about Murfreesboro a bit. I feel like I really know my way around now.
It’s a good thing, too. It always seems there is incredible traffic.
My impression is that the population boom in Middle Tennessee hit Rutherford County exceptionally hard. The convergence of campus and community were both pulled along with this boom. Enrollment at the university has skyrocketed; a number of new high schools have popped up; there is development (and, in some cases, necessary road construction) with it.
Anyway, the town has the feeling of a place that is on the move. There is a kind of an electricity. Signs of progress are every where.
Or, in other words, it’s not just a drowsy little college down any more.
JG
Originally posted 4/14/2014
No comments:
Post a Comment