Sunday, January 22, 2023

Prep Day

Editor’s Note – This is the 1st in a two-part series on my first colonoscopy.

Disclaimer – Don’t read on if you’re squeamish – about personal matters, medical matters or all of the above. You can make alternate blogging plans for the next two days and tune back in on Thursday for our regularly scheduled programming…

Now, for those of you who chose to read on, here’s the scoop. Tomorrow, I am going in for my first colonoscopy. I am writing about this topic because I believe it is so important that we all get our screenings. The American Cancer Society recommends a colonoscopy every 10 years beginning at age 50 if you are at average risk for colon cancer.

Finding any polyps in the colon before they develop is vital. It means that if you follow the guideline and have your colonoscopy as recommended, you’ve got a very good chance of preventing colon cancer. The way I look at it, why not take your best shot to prevent disease?

I’ve talked to many people who have had colonoscopies and they all say the same thing. The day before, with a clear liquid diet, is the hardest part. So guess what? This is the day before. Here’s a timeline of how my day went. It actually started the night before when I mixed up two batches of Jello® (one would serve as breakfast; the other is lunch). In between lemon popsicles would be a great, refreshing snack. 

Colas are out – as are any red or purple popsicles, juice or flavored gelatin. I stocked up on Ginger Ale. So, with my provisions in hand, I was ready to begin:

 6 a.m. – Wake-up. Complete dressing and grooming for the day. Enjoy 1st bowl of lemon Jello. By mid-morning, the Jello was gone and I enjoyed my first frozen lemon delicacy. From there, I went to work (doing some of the freelance work I’ve been doing over the past month or so).

Popped open the Canada Dry and poured my first Ginger Ale of the day. I woke with a little headache. My usual go-to pain medications, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, were ruled out by the protocol. Prescription medications are allowed but any blood thinners (such as Aspirin or Plavix or any ibuprofen or naproxen products) are prohibited.

Incidentally, all of this was spelled out in a very impressive kit I received a week or so before my scheduled procedure. I ordered the kit online. It arrived via USPS Priority mail. The package included: all the prep (in lay terms…stuff to clean you out), a couple packets of chicken broth powder, two packets of Gatorade® (G Series) mix, a box of lemon gelatin dessert. There were even some wet wipes.

They thought of everything!

image

Noonish – Had the peach Jello® for lunch and my second lemon dessert.  I also mixed up the second lemon ‘gelatin dessert’ (the one from the kit) and then settled back into work for the afternoon.

Throughout the afternoon, I alternated bowls of Jello with lemon ice while I worked. That took me up to 3 p.m. when I was supposed to do the next two steps in the instructions. 

For one thing, I needed to take my first two ‘tablets.’ Also, I was instructed to mix up the two packets of Gatorade in 64oz of water and let it pre-chill. Then, I dug back in for my last couple of hours of computer work for the day.

6 p.m. – Holly and Lisa ordered Chicken Lo Mein and Chicken Fried Rice (something that, quite honestly, wouldn’t tempt me) to enjoy while I had ‘the Prep’ for dinner (along with a ‘chaser’ of lemonade). I had a total of four 8 ounce glasses over the course of the hour between 6-7 p.m. For dessert…I had more Jello! 

Really, it wasn’t so bad.

And now I’m settled in for the evening. Got a nice spot on the couch; baseball game on the television. Friendly folks near-by.

So, now, as I get ready to post this, I’m into the homestretch. Less than 12 hours and I go in for the procedure.

Will report more at that time.

JG

(Source: cancer.org)

Originally posted 6/25/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...