Editor’s Note – This is the 2nd in a two-part series on my first colonoscopy.
Disclaimer – Don’t read on if you’re squeamish – about personal matters, medical matters or all of the above. You can make alternate blogging plans today and tune back in on tomorrow for our regularly scheduled programming…
Yesterday, I told you about the prep for my colonoscopy, scheduled for bright and early at 7 a.m. My goal in writing yesterday’s blog, as well as today’s, is to give people a first hand account of what the procedure is like - the build-up and the big day.
It seems like so many people have told me over the years they are afraid to do it, that it sounds like it is a hassle or something they may get around to some day but it isn’t a priority.
My goal is to tell you why you shouldn’t be afraid, that the procedure isn’t a hassle and that you should make it a priority. When I heard that a grad school colleague of mine had recently been diagnosed with colorectal cancer, I knew that I was going to schedule my colonoscopy for this summer.
Lisa teased me about writing these two blogs saying that it seemed like I wanted to be like Katie Couric. I could never!
But guess who was prominently featured in a framed wall-hanging gracing the changing room where I started off my morning?

That’s the room where I got to change into this fabulous gown and snap a selfie!

But, I’m getting ahead of myself.
The day got off to a very early start. Actually, I’m not sure that yesterday really ended. I think it just merged into this day. Anyway, at 6:30, we arrived at the Weisgarber Office of Gastrointestinal Associates, P.C. As I said earlier, I was scheduled for a 7 a.m. appointment.
Things ran like clockwork from the moment I arrived. I was, indeed, taken back just after 7. I was asked a few questions and checked in. Within no time at all, I was in the room getting ready for the procedure to start. There, I chatted, briefly, with my physician, Dr. Sarkis J. Chobanian.
My folks have seen Dr. Chobanian for years. He commented that I looked familiar to him, too, and I reminded him that we had met on a few occasions when I served as Executive Director for the local office of the American Cancer Society. In fact, I introduced him once before he gave a speech to many ACS volunteers.
After we exchanged a few pleasantries, we were ready to get going. I want to take the opportunity here to give a shout out to everyone I met today - from the front desk, to the nurses, to Dr. Chobanian. Everyone was so friendly and professional. It was a great experience.
As for the procedure itself, there’s really not much to tell. One minute, the nurse anesthetist was talking to me and, as I have heard from so many people who described the process to me, the next thing I knew, I was talking to the nurses after the procedure was over.
Just like that.
The doctor came back in a few minutes later to tell me that everything was clear and he’d see me again in 10 years! That’s the best news you can get.
And then, I was off to get breakfast!
So, to summarize, if you have been wavering about whether or not you should have a colonoscopy, don’t hesitate. Go ahead and schedule it today. As I’ve told you, the whole process is very do-able. No pain. No real hassle. No reason not to do it.
JG
Originally posted 6/26/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment