Sunday, January 22, 2023

#confused

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

Over the course of the last few months, I’ve told you about a few of my favorite things.

Baseball. Summer Veggie Meals. Being optimistic. Roger the Cat. Farragut High School. My family.

Today, I’m going in the opposite direction. Maybe it is because today is a Monday.   Today I’m writing about a few of my unfavorite things.  

First, I know this may be un-American….I am NOT a fan of the grumpy cat. OK. It was cute when the whole thing started, I guess. But now, it just seems like that poor cat is depicted EVERYwhere online.

Maybe it is the case of too much of a good thing.

Speaking of too much of a good thing, does it feel odd to you that there is still hockey going on as we approach the end of June? And basketball just ended. And yet there are trades to discuss, the upcoming draft and a recap of this past season. Eeesh.

Aren’t those considered to be winter sports?

image

Then, there is the case of the hash tag.

I’m not the world’s foremost expert on social media but I do think I have a good working knowledge of it. My understanding of the hash tag, in Twitter, is that it makes a term searchable. So, for example, if I am tweeting about the #braves game from yesterday or the win by the #AtlantaBraves, the use of the # makes the term searchable.

But now, it has taken on a life of its own.

Maybe I’m tweeting about Game 6 of NHL playoffs, and I say #letsdropthepuck or I want to add something about grumpy cat that hasn’t already been said by everyone, so I use my 140 characters to talk about cute kitties and I punctuate it by saying #cutekitty. I guess I’m just #confused. Maybe I’ve lost track of why we use the hashtag.

Then again, maybe I’m just behind on the trend. I’m not a guy who is likely to take to Twitter to tell you what I had for lunch. #bestlunchever! 

Seasons of sports that are never-ending.
Use of technology that seems to be bending.
Memes of cats that frown when wearing blings.
These are a few of my unfavorite things.

JG

Originally posted 6/24/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...