With all the family and job search activity that I have mentioned to you recently, I nearly missed this interesting news: the $100 bill is about to get a facelift.
Or put another way, the $100 bill is being redesigned in an attempt to make it more difficult for counterfeiters to lift some fake bills.
It has taken some getting used to, but the entire cache of U.S. currency has taken on a different look over the course of the past two decades. In 1996, for example, the U.S. Treasury announced a new design would enlarge the portraits on the bills and move them off center. In 2003, another new design introduced colors (other than green) to the bills.
Of course, compared to other bills from around the world, our’s are still fairly dull. Even our friends to the north have some fairly colourful currency.
As for the greenbacks, the new designs are more complex and have added new features to try to stay a step ahead of counterfeiters. The modern ‘Benjamin,’ will be released into circulation in October of this year.
As I was reading up on this topic – to become current on the topic of currency, if you will – I learned the $100 bill is the World’s most popular bank note, by value, among the world’s major currencies.

I don’t know about you…but I rarely have a hundred on me. I’m more apt to have a $20…just after a trip to the ATM.
JG
(Source: Yahoo!)
No comments:
Post a Comment