Thursday, January 19, 2023

Thank You, Paul Wilson

The Braves are playing in Cincinnati this week and watching the game last night brought to mind some of my own visits to the Queen City and, in particular, to The Great American Ballpark.

I have always liked Cincinnati. I have always enjoyed my visits there and, over the years, I have had a number of friends who hail from Cincy. And who doesn’t enjoy a plate of Skyline Chili.

One baseball trip to Cincy, in particular, stands out above the rest. This was right in the middle of our baseball years (me as coach and Paul as a lefty pitcher). We went to Cincinnati with another father-son for a fun baseball weekend. 

When we arrived at the ballpark on Saturday, we found that we just happened to be there on photo day. Families could go down on to the field and form a line around the edge of the field at the Great American Ballpark and meet some of the Reds and take a picture with their favorite player as they came around.

I think the event was sponsored by a camera maker or film manufacturer (in the pre-digital days). 

Anyway, we took our place on the field and Paul asked one of the ushers if there were any Cincinnati Reds players named Paul and the usher said, “Why, yes, there is Paul Wilson. He’s a pitcher.”

I remembered that Paul Wilson had been one of the highly touted young pitchers for the New York Mets after he was drafted #1 overall in the 1990s out of Florida State. Later, he went on to Tampa Bay and eventually made his way to the Reds’ roster. Paul Gary didn’t really know all those details but he did recognize the name, Paul, and he recognized the fact that he was a pitcher.

So he didn’t miss a beat.

Paul replied to the usher that he, too, was a pitcher for his team and he’d love to meet Paul Wilson when he came out onto the field. The usher said he’d pass the word.  Sure enough, a few minutes later, the usher came back and said he had told Paul Wilson that another pitching Paul wanted to meet him. Within a few minutes, Paul Wilson came over to where we were standing.

“I understand there is a Paul here who wanted to meet me,” Paul Wilson said.

“That’s me, I’m Paul!,” eight-year-old pitcher Paul replied.

“Would you like to take a picture?,” Paul Wilson asked.

“Yes!” Paul Gary, said.

I took the photo and Paul Wilson very graciously noted that he, himself, might’ve blinked. “Why don’t we take another one just to be safe,” he said.

And we did.

image

Soon, Paul Wilson needed to go on and we thanked him for his time. I’ll never forget how gracious he was that day.

When we got back home, our Paul asked for a little help. He wanted to send a note to Paul Wilson. So, we looked up the address. Our Paul ‘autographed’ a copy of one of the photos and sent it along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and a note requesting that Mr. Wilson autograph the other and mail it back to us.

Within a few days, the envelope showed up in the mail and to this day, the photo is one of the prized possessions displayed in Paul’s bedroom alongside his other baseball trophies and keepsakes.
In the years after that, I always made a point to follow Paul Wilson’s career until he retired from Major League Baseball. 

Other than our brief encounter on the field, I didn’t really have a chance to say a proper 'thank you’ to Paul Wilson for taking the time with my little boy that day and making a memory to last a lifetime. I was thinking about it last night when I saw a shot of the field at the Great American Ballpark and I saw the spot near the third base dugout where we were hanging out that day 10 years ago.

Anyway, here’s my chance: “Thank You, Paul Wilson.” You were a class act that day. And we really appreciate you taking the time to spend with an eight-year-old boy that day.

And maybe for a minute when I watch tonight’s game, I will see that spot near third base and think of the moment one more time.

JG

Originally posted 5/7/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...