Thursday, January 19, 2023

Congratulations, Holly

Without great fanfare or panache, Holly Gary graduated from the University of Tennessee today.

Congratulations to Holly for a job well done.

Though she didn’t approach the event with flair, she completed her requirements for a baccalaureate degree with a laser-like focus. Indeed, she finished in three years. She approached her course requirements like a lawnmower chews up fresh grass…with a sharpened blade.

Originally, she and Paul were three years apart academically. So, on the original schedule, she would have been a senior as Paul began his freshman year in College. How did she play this game of Higher Ed “Beat the Clock,” you might ask?

It was a combination of:
• AP Courses, Governor’s School and Dual Enrollment
• Never falling behind or taking less than a full load
• Taking one summer class that she needed to make the math and calendar add up

Like I said. Laser-like focus.

I doubt little-girl Holly could have envisioned such an outcome as she looked out on the horizon and considered the future.

 image

Also, because her academic performance was so strong – both at the University and, beforehand when she was in high school – she can really pursue a number of different paths now as she moves forward. So, she’s in great position as she contemplates the next chapter.

She and I talked about this last week when we went for ice cream one night. She talked about her undergraduate years and wondered, aloud, what the record would show.

I told her the record would show outstanding performance completed in short order.  I told her she should be proud. I reminded her that her mother and I are VERY proud of her achievements.

No flash. No fanfare. But in Holly’s quiet, respectful manner, she nailed it.

Congratulations, Holly.

JG

(Source: utk.edu)

Originally posted 5/9/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...