Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Deck the Halls

Over the weekend, we decorated our home for the holidays.  Like millions of Americans, we enjoyed the long weekend and used the extra time to deck the halls.

I love our house all the time but I especially think it looks warm and festive this time of year during the Christmas season.

Decorating, as you know, is a process. It starts here

image

And hours later, you get to stand back and admire this:

image 

Not to mention that

image

Or the other thing

image

I always love how our house looks in December.

Something else that I specifically enjoy this time of year is how we get to say hello to ‘old friends’ that we haven’t seen for nearly a year. Whereas, I love visiting with dear college pals and special family members, the ‘old friends’ I mean here are inanimate objects. Still, they help our Christmas décor come to life.

Cherished wall decorations, mantle pieces and set-abouts make their return to the rooms on the main level of our house; our two trees are graced by the presence of our collection of ornaments.

We were talking about various tree designs over the weekend as we decorated. Some people have trees that are gold-themed; or adorned with silver. Some are trimming in bright orange and white to celebrate Vol Nation. Still others feature a particular theme – such as patriotic, nature-oriented or a design that favors a specific fruit or flower.

The theme for our evergreen, however, is uniquely us.  

It reflects the life journey of a young couple who met, married and set up housekeeping. We have some trinkets from the early years.  Then, there are baubles to commemorate the arrival of two children – a girl and a boy. Those are followed by some years of hand-made or homemade ornaments and the respective interests adopted by Holly and Paul as they grew up.

We also have some that commemorate places we’ve worked (and studied) as well as vacation destinations and favorite sports teams.

Oh - I’d be remiss if I didn’t admit that we DO have a number of Holly-themed decorations as well.

In short, we have a full and rich collection. I’m a big fan.

I love the fact that I walk into each of the rooms and feel the warmth; I cherish the moments of memory as I look at each component in our ensemble and remember the story – and often the location – of the acquisition.

Indeed, the halls are decked. The season of advent is upon us. And, with a short December calendar, we’re all ready for a three-week sprint to arrive at the ‘most wonderful time of the year.’

JG

Originally posted 12/2/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...