Sunday, January 22, 2023

Cat Naps

Roger, the cat, is sleeping a lot these days. I wonder if he senses the changes of the seasons.

The dark, cool mornings; the crisp, clear nights. It’s good sleeping weather for any creature.

Like many cats, he tends to pick a location and enjoy it for a while. After a few days, he finds another spot and moves on. I told you about his hideout between the heather and the house outdoors. He frequented this spot, a lot, late in the summer. I haven’t seen him there recently.

But, inside, he has been enjoying a good snooze. Some of his recent spots:

  • In the blue chair in the living room
  • In a dining room chair, facing the window looking out over the back lawn
  • In front of the refrigerator

And, on some days, I’ve found him just stretched out in the floor. He almost blends into the camel-colored carpet.

image

We tried making a bed for him inside the large mailbox I told you about earlier this summer. Knowing how cats love enclosed places, we figured he might just take to that. 

Didn’t work. Maybe it’s TOO confining.

We’ve also noticed, recently, is that Rog seems to be dreaming a great deal; twitching, thrashing or acting out some scenario from his psyche. We may not want to know what he imagines.

Last weekend, I noticed him swatting something with his paw while he slumbered.

Of course, there are many nights when he is outside and he might be acting out some of those scenes. After those long nights out, he is usually ready for a very long cat nap. Some of those last much of the day.

He hunts. He eats. He sleeps. He repeats.

JG

Originally posted 10/23/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...