Sunday, January 22, 2023

Generation Gap

We all say the right things. We mean well.

Sometimes, it just doesn’t come across that way.

From the earliest age, we are taught to respect our elders. Greatest Generation. Wealth of Experience. Lifelong Knowledge.

Blah Blah Blah.

When our senior citizens encounter young folks, what sounds great in theory doesn’t always come across in practice. Maybe we tune out all those good life lessons.

Maybe we’ve just seen too many condescending tv commercials…

  • Reverse Mortgage
  • I’ve Fallen and I Can’t Get Up
  • Alex Trebek and Life Insurance

image

Whatever the case, sometimes, younger people have an annoying habit of talking down to older people. Those of us stuck in the middle just watch it all play out. 

I noticed this during a recent doctor visit. When it was my turn in line, the young lady at the counter asked how long it had been, for me, since I had last seen the doctor. It had been many years, so she asked me to fill out a form with all the key information (address, phone number, insurance info). 

Pretty straightforward stuff.

Then, it came time for “Mr. Henry.” He came in right after me and had the same set of circumstances. But the conversation was way different. It was almost as though the young receptionist felt like she needed to speak a foreign language.

EVERY. THING. GOT. VERY. LOUD.

AND. VERY SLOW.

O.K.? MR. HENRY????

I don’t know whether Mr. Henry was hard of hearing, confused or was just a regular old guy, but I found the loudness and tone from the receptionist ranged from annoying to condescending.

Why is it she felt she had to do that?

And at the supermarket, where Wednesday is known as “Senior Citizen’s Discount Day,” the clerks and baggers do the slow talk/loud talk as well.

Of course, the generation gap works in reverse, as well – when worldly old guys talk about whipper snappers and how little they know.

The original term – generation gap – was born out of the turmoil of the 60s. You can imagine why. Greatest Generation meets Baby Boomers; WWII Generation meets Vietnam. Civil Rights Movement. Turmoil on college campuses. Bra burnings. Draft Card burnings.

Well, you get the idea.

I don’t think we’ve stepped back in time 50 years, but it does seem like – at times – we need to find a way to build a bridge across the ages. When an old fellah goes to the doctor’s office, the young clerk doesn’t need to talk down to him; when a young guy seeks the advice of an elder, he doesn’t need a lecture about ‘the good ol’ days.’ 

It just seems a little dialogue can go a long way. We all can bridge that gap with a little communication – some active listening and some good talk.

JUST. NOT. SO. LOUD.

JG

Originally posted 10/22/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...