Sunday, January 22, 2023

Sixty Days

Hurry up. Just 60 more shopping days to go! Or is it 61?

I guess it depends on your philosophy about shopping on Thanksgiving Day.

Whatever the math, the fact remains that Halloween is exactly a week away and most of the major stores around town have already started rolling out the Christmas merchandise. 

I know this fact because when I went to purchase some ‘weed and feed’ for my lawn recently at one of those large discount super centers – you know, the one where you can Save Money and Live Better – and all the lawn and garden material was gone. Cleared away.  Departed.

Lawn and Garden out. Tinsel and Garland in.

And a few days later I was strolling through a national pharmacy chain. While looking for office supplies, I found holiday supplies. There, to greet me, were Mickey and Minnie dressed in all their yuletide finery.

image

Don’t get me wrong, the Disney icons are cute…and festive. Yet, in the season of pumpkin, this feels a bit jarring. One minute, we’re preparing for ‘Back to School’ and, then in an instant, we’re whisked away into what seems to be ‘the holiday season.’

But, it really isn’t.

Actually, I wrote on this topic two years ago, but, the feeling hasn’t escaped me. It still feels wrong. 

When I was a kid, we didn’t really get into the holiday spirit at least until after we went over the river and through the woods to Grandmother’s House for Thanksgiving.  Some families would begin their holiday decorating later that weekend…or maybe the next. Lisa tells me her family didn’t really get into the Christmas spirit until well up in December.

That seems right.

Not now. In this hyper-speed world, we’ve fast-forwarded way past Turkey Day and we’re pushing up against Columbus Day. Shoot, before you know it, Labor Day will signal the official beginning of the holiday season.

I wish I could tell you that I had some panacea; a call to action to everyone to make this right. But, I’m afraid I’m a lone voice howling in the woods. This, it seems, is the modern way. The Christmas morning toy train has left the station.

It’s not so bad, I guess. If an early start on the Christmas season is your thing, knock yourself out.  I’m more a traditionalist. Let me at least wait until the Thanksgiving leftover goodies are gone before I start working on plans for the 12 Days of Christmas.

JG

Originally posted 10/24/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...