Every time I go into the Communication Building on the University of Tennessee campus, I walk past the spot where it all started. In this case IT means a very successful marriage.
This journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, so the saying goes. And I took that step by introducing myself to young Lisa Byerley at that spot in that building.
We met during the fall and, actually, the anniversary of that date is coming up fairly soon. So, when I am on campus this time of year, you can understand why I get a little bit nostalgic about this bit of personal trivia.
Actually, that moment had been building for a couple weeks after I spotted her in class one day. Our class schedules lined up such that we were in the same classroom – good ol’ COM 317 – for two classes back to back.
One day, when the class roll sheet was circulated, I checked out her name. I’m not sure what good that actually did me, but I was convinced it made a difference. So, day-by-day, I began to inch from my usual spot (back row, center of the room) ever closer to her chosen seat – first row on the left side of the classroom…about halfway back. Each day I moved up a seat or over a row until, presto, I was right next door.
That was the day I figured it was time to make my move,
I decided to talk to her during the 15-minute break between classes. I walked outside into the hall and there, in the lobby of the building, she stood next to the wall. I calmly strolled over and began chatting. I’m sure my ‘Opening Line’ was stellar.
In that era, let me say, the ol’ COM lobby was nothing special. As buildings go, the communication building is fairly interesting because of its crescent shape. But the lobby itself was pretty drab. Undoubtedly, my witty comments far outpaced our surroundings.
This brings me back to present-day COM. When I walked into the building last week, I was very impressed by the refurbished lobby. Recently, it has enjoyed a tremendous make-over. I had to snap a picture to remind myself just how far it has come. It is now the type of place where you’d be happy to hold a reception.
From the ceiling, hangs a colorful banner welcoming you to the building. The spot where I first met Lisa is just below the UT logo (near the shiny spot in the floor along the wall in this photo).

In the back of the room, you can see a TV monitor. It features the College website. On the far right wall, you find some bookcases which will house College awards and books published by CCI faculty.
It’s an impressive place. The one thing missing, really, is the plaque that reads “At this spot Jeff met Lisa.” I think it would add quite a bit to the room.
It’s something to consider.
JG
Originally posted 9/19/2013
No comments:
Post a Comment