Sunday, January 22, 2023

Familiar Ground

The sad stories of these multiple shootings are becoming all-too rote. The circumstances vary from scenario to scenario but some threads of the story are similar.

A messed up individual snaps and decides to take his anger out on innocent victims. We have seen it in schools and movie theaters and shopping malls

For me, personally, the thing about yesterday’s shooting at the Washington Navy Yard is that it happened just a block away from where our family spent time on vacation two months ago. One of the poignant pictures from yesterday’s tragedy was a line of Washington D.C. police cars lined up just outside Nationals Park.

Holly snapped a photo when we were waiting outside the ballpark, on the same street, eight weeks ago. Same street; much different feel.

image

I guess that is why this one seems a little closer to me. I’ve never traveled to Colorado or Oregon. I have passed through Connecticut a few times but I don’t believe I’ve been to Newtown. But just a couple months ago, I was a block away from the Washington Navy Yard.

From Nationals Park, we could see helicopters taking off and landing. To get to the stadium via the D.C. METRO system, you take the Green Line to the Navy Yard/Ballpark stop.

So when the story broke yesterday and details of the location emerged, I knew it well. In fact, I’ve been to D.C. so many times, my knowledge of the area seems almost prosaic.

When the Braves and Nationals agreed to postpone last night’s baseball game it made all the sense in the world. As late as mid-afternoon yesterday, there was speculation about multiple shooters and 25,000 fans would soon be descending upon the ballpark. In addition, one of the major parking lots - I think it is one we walked past en route from the subway to the stadium - was being used as a staging area.

In short, it was familiar ground.

For us all, the story is familiar as well. And we don’t seem to be any closer to a solution than we did on the day of the Columbine shooting more than 14 years ago or Virginia Tech six years ago.

The details are slightly different each time but the outcome is the same. And its just sad and senseless.

Prayers for all the victims and for their loved ones.

JG

Originally posted 9/17/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...