Sunday, January 22, 2023

Bumper Crop

Many theories abound for the number of spiders and their webs this fall. All I can tell you is that, in terms of spiders, we have a bumper crop.

All around our house – near every light, every window, every opening, it seems there is a web – large or small – and a patient occupant waiting for the timely arrival of some uninvited guest.

One theory is that the rainy summer played a role in the explosion of the arachnid population in East Tennessee. After all, spidey has to have food. More rain = more insects. More insects = all you can eat buffet.

Another suggestion relates to the ‘old wives tales’ about the severity of the upcoming winter. More webs, early = more snows later. I don’t know if any of this is true. Other predictions of heavy winter include active squirrels (the furry creatures have been darting around our neighborhood at a frenetic pace) and August fogs (which, again, result from summer rains).

If you believe meteorologists, this could potentially be a more winter-like winter around here. The Farmer’s Almanac is even forecasting a marshmallow world.

When it comes to winter weather, I’m more of a “Show Me” sort. I’ve seen plenty of runs on essential items at the local supermarket that resulted in “a light dusting.”Still, the thought is intriguing.

I can’t tell you the forecast for January but I can tell you that the spider forecast for late September is “plentiful amounts around the abode.”

The most impressive of my cache of eight-legged neighbors is the barn spider – think Charlotte’s Web – who seems to be moving around the perimeter of our house. I read this is not uncommon for Araneus cavaticus. She typically spins an impressive web, hangs out for a night, consumes it the next morning and starts over in another spot.

I have seen her near the back door and also near the door to our screened-in porch. Her most impressive web, however, was just to the right of our front door.

image

This was a great spot, strategically, because it is just below the lamp off to the side of the porch. I would think that would be a great hunting ground for her. However, per tradition, she was gone the next day.

I wonder if she has any outlook on upcoming weather patterns in this part of the country?  Whether she does or doesn’t, she certainly made for an interesting conversation piece on a warm, early autumn eve.

JG

Originally posted 9/23/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Atlanta 1996

Sometimes the decisions you don't make are as defining as the ones you do. For 15 minutes, on Friday July 27, 1996, I sat on a bench jus...